New Workshop needed - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
Re: New Workshop needed

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well Dean,
I do need to unclutter for sure but I don't just build models in this room.I dabble in carvings and the usual house hold repair stuff.I have a new project on the bench and about 4 in various stages plus some in transition from active to mothballing. And you should have seen it before I sold a lot of stuff of a couple of years ago.
Ian Gunn
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

ONe idea that I saw had the chop saw on a rotating arm so that you opened a door, flipped the saw down from the working position (hinges on the edge of the counter) and then closed the door. you could do that with the othrr tools just at different locations.

Another one had a well into which the various tools on their separate platforms could drop and be locked into place. For example, the chopsaw would sit at a level where a board sitting on the countertop would also pass through the chopsaw's working bed at the same level.

My current project for the workspace is to build a counter out of plywood strips rather than boards with the counters running full-span through the counter (open the end of the coutner and push in long items like boards and pipes and such).

The trick for this will be to get the guy running the cutting section to cut the strips off of the bottom of the sheet so that I get absolutely the same sized strips.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Sounds like you have reached capacity! Lots going on in that room.

How far are you willing to go with changes? Complete reno or just organization and storage ideas?
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Oh man.... 15'x8'... I can't imagine being so cramped. My workshop is 1/2 of a double garage.... 13'x28' and I barely have enough room.

I hang my wings horizontal on the walls on a rack made out of an old baby crib side rails. The fuselages hang by the tails, or on horizontal racks, or from the ceiling and some sit on extra work tables when I don't need them for building. My main tinker table is an old metal office desk with drawers... works great.
Most of my parts and supplies are kept in metal storage cabinets or old cupboards and out of the way.

Any planes or wings that will not be used in the near future are covered with sheets or plastic to keep the dust and fly sh** off. I also cover my engines with a shopping bag to keep the dust off them.

I am not 100% happy with this setup, but for now it will have to do till I can think of something else.

Like said before... it does help to keep the floor as clear of clutter as much as possible for easy cleanup. If I could only get my wife to quit moving in and storing stuff in my workshop and on the benches!

Good luck

Note to self...... Next time paint my walls before hanging stuff on them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0060.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	78910   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0061.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	78911   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0062.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	78912   Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0063.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	78913  

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #25
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

If I had the space you have Curt,I'd be in heaven.I saw an idea using modular style cabinets that may just work nicely on one wall and solve at least 1/2 or better of the problem.Over the work bench,either a better organized bin system or cabinets would work.As well as some house cleaning.If I can get rid of the 5 tear shelving unit,I may be able to store larger items better.A plan is beginning to formulate.
Ian Gunn
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.