Westland Lysander - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Denis B

Total Props: 0
Westland Lysander

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am building a Dennis Bryant 1/7 scale Westland Lysander. I need help on how to set up the tail wheel. On the plan, the tailwheel is fixed, I.E. it does not turn the plane. This is not acceptable for me. I see three possible options.

- Make it a steerable tail wheel with a servo.

- Make it a free wheeling tail wheel (like the real Lysander).

- Make it a free wheeling tail wheel AND use a a gyroscope linked to the rudder to control the plane during take off.

Any ideas, recommendations out there?

denbourg is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy S

Total Props: 2
Re: Westland Lysander

I have always thought the Lysander was a cool looking plane with remarkable perfomance. Functionally beautiful !?!? I was just reading a pilot report in an old issue of Flight Journal on what it is like to fly the Lizzie. It has a speed range from 60 to 300 knots (in a dive)! BTW, there is one flying in Hamilton now.

I would definitely recommend going with a steerable tailwheel as opposed to a fully castoring/free wheeling one. Being a taildragger, it is naturally unstable (ground handling-wise) with the CG behind the wheels. If you allow the tailwheel to castor, it can not provide any resistance to stop the tail swinging to the side. This also makes taxiing in a cross-wind difficult as the plane will just weatherock and self-align with the wind.

I would run a set of pull-pull lines to the tail wheel in parallel with your rudder pushrod. Then you just need the one servo. And the pull-pull lines weigh next to nothing. That is my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!
MAAC# 31956
j3_av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

A castering tailwheel is the simplest solution, but it can make taxiing frustrating on a breezy day, especially with that great big behind that is on the Lizzie.

The best solution is a single servo and second pushrod (or pull-pull as j3 av8r suggests)

Another solution is to run a Y harness to a second servo on the tail, but if you are routing the pushrods/cables to the servo up to where the existing rudder servo is, why run a second servo? If you put the second servo close to the tailhweel, you need to consider access to the servo in case it ever craps out.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

Hi denbourg: I don't have a lysander, but did come up with a steering tailwheel solution for my 8 foot Turbo beaver that works fine. I'll attach some pics. The concept might work for you plane.
The rudder is pull/pull with two arms, one high one low, the lower unit is attached to wheel rod with two cables on another arm.
If theres enough room, all could be inside the plane. I think this would work with or without tail suspension. Works fine on my plane! FWIW flytwice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9140009.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	79764   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9140008.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	79765  
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.