Fuel Tank sizes ?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Fuel Tank sizes ??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just installed a new DL 55 Friday night.
Did 4 flights Saturday. Everything is running great.
Currently I have a 20 oz tank.

Do I need a tank that big? I have been landing with 1/2 a tank or just a bit less.
If I were to go to a 16 oz tank, what kind of flight time can i expect ?
I generally don't fly longer than 10 minutes. Usually a mix of IMAC and 3d type stuff.
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: jay
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4GHz

Total Props: 0
Re: Fuel Tank sizes ??

That sounds like an ounce a minute. If you went to a smaller tank, could you squeeze in a smoke tank? A 16oz tank will also make for a lighter plane over all, or only fill the 20oz 3/4 full. If you forget to start the clock, you may be thankful you have that extra fuel. Hey, but what the hell do I know.
It's okay Pluto, I'm not a Planet either.
Riddick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 58

160z is lots for a 50cc !!!

I have a 20oz on my DA50 / EF 88" Yak and it's too big aswell - I was just thinking of doing the same as you and dropping to 16oz. That's 1/4 lb less weight to haul around!

Visit my website:www.bbtbuildservices.blogspot.com

Sponsored By:
ThunderBolt R/C www.thunderboltrc.com
Hot Wire Foam Factory www.hotwirefoamfactory.com/
B&E Graphix http://www.bandegraphix.com/
Carden Aircraft www.carden-aircraft.com
AirMan Wheels www.airmanwheels.com/
Pro R/C www.pro-rc.ca/
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 41

Cool ,Thanks guys.
Going to pick up 16 oz today.

The biggest reason i want to go to a smaller tank is the length of the 20 is awkward in the Great Planes Giant Reactor.

Each wing panel is held in place with 2 bolts.
The rear bolts are behind the wing tube and access is not a problem.
The forward bolts are partially blocked by the front of the 20 oz tank which is backed up against the wing tube.

This plane has a narrow fuselage and any type of tool does not fit between the bolt and the tank. I have a hard time to get my fingers in there and cannot tighten down the 2 forward bolts. I have to check them after every flight because they get loose.
With the shorter tank, I can at least get an allen key or socket in there to snug down those 2 bolts.

That and 20 oz just seems to take forever to fill during that first fill of the day. Crank and crank and crank

Trevor, I can't imagine filling a 1.5 liter or 2 liter tank in one of your big birds....

Cheers and thanks
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597

Last edited by Bdegan; 06-21-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

If you want to spare the exchange to a smaller tank, why not use a hex head bolt and a ratcheting wrench? Those are VERY thin - generally about 1/4" or so.

You'd then have more cool stuff to lug around in your field box.

As for taking forever to fill, you can solve that problem with the Dave Brown Six Shooter pump or an electric pump, which again means more stuff to lug around. But then, what's another battery?

Yeah, yeah, I know - a battery detester advocating a battery of all things. What's this world coming too?
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Eric R
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

I was running a 16oz tank with my DLE 55 and found it a bit tight for flight times. Again new engine on breakin and perhaps my throttle management wasn't so good initially. I had my timer set for 10 mins, had to do 2 go-arounds due to gusty winds and bad technique and ended up deadstick.....so I bumped my timer down to 8 mins.....since then I'm lighter on the throttle (practicing IMAC) and I upgraded to a 24oz tank.....now 12 mins timer and TONS of reserve.

Again each to their own, yes it's heavier for my plane but frankly I'm not good enoegh to really see the difference and I'm not doing 3D with this plane.

Cheers, Eric
flyloose is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.