New to RC Cars -- advice please - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
New to RC Cars -- advice please

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,

I've got a few heli's that I have fun with, but would like to try a truck. What I'd like to do with it is:
- drive fast but I won't be racing
- be able to go off-road with jumps
- good parts availability, lots of upgrade opportunities down the road (I like tinkering)
- not going to break all the time, able to use it for a while before doing maintenance.

I looked for a good while and it seems like the Slash 4x4 brushless may be a good option. Would others recommend it also, or is something else better to look at?

If I do get the slash 4x4, can you recommend what other parts I should get and where to have it RTR. Ie. which TX/RX, batteries and commonly breaking parts to buy. I have a Spektrum DX6i... not sure if that would be reusable or even advisable for a truck.

dcardamo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Re: New to RC Cars -- advice please

The Traxxas Slash comes with it's own radio etc. The Brushless motor is very fast. I have a slash and upgraded it to brushless 4200kv 9T. It too is very fast...but spends more time on it's back skating along for about 40 feet. Wrecks the body quickly. Cut some holes in the body to release the captured air and the body won't act as a parachute and lift the car in flight. Helps...but this car also flips constantly at that speed. I've learnt to master the flipping to a point, but still flips over on it's back.
I have a HPI Firestorm 10T Flux which is also a fast car....doesn't flip easily, jumps off picnic tables, but...wheelies like crazy. This constant wheelie-ing damages the motor cover and eventually the motor. Sometimes it flips over backwards...landing on it's roof and skates along about 50 feet or so.
Both are good on off road situations too and handles better than on road, mainly because you have to run at slower speeds.
I only buy parts when they are broken and the packet sometimes have a spare.'s really your choice which Brushless you want to buy. For's gets frustrating when the vehicle constantly flips or rolls over on its back.
IMO...I like the Flux better and I do wish I had left the Slash with the stock can motor.
The Lose Strike is selling for $150 and comes with a 2.4 Ghz radio already RTR.

Cheers and have fun with which ever you choose.
If you see me inverted, I'm not doing 3D ....
If you see me 3D flying, something went wrong!
Pangaea is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
RCC Noob

Re: New to RC Cars -- advice please

Thanks for the info and advice. I ended up doing more research and settled on a savage flux. Its been a blast to drive so far and quite reliable. Now the trick is to find some good places to bash it around
dcardamo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.