General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Re: Carbon Fiber Rods

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My suggestion on any form of cutting Carbon Fibre is to be very careful, clean up immediately and wear a mask!

Carbon fiber is known to get into your lungs and cause a form of TB just like Asbestos does.
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2

Originally Posted by michel gravelle View Post

( Wow ,...... youre up early )

Ca ,....... it will be . Any tips on the drilling . As far as my experience goes , carbon is difficult to drill ( I think )

Thanks for clearing this up for me .
salut Michel
you need a sharp bit, light pressure and fairly high speed to prevent splitting if bit grabs (Happens at low speed with too much pressure )

MAAC 5057 L
Jean. C. Blouin
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Skype jean.blouin

Last edited by skypupnut; 06-27-2010 at 06:30 AM.
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by michel gravelle View Post

( Wow ,...... youre up early )

Ca ,....... it will be . Any tips on the drilling . As far as my experience goes , carbon is difficult to drill ( I think )

Thanks for clearing this up for me .
Michell again these are not carbon rods these are fiberglass tubes they don't split quite as easy so any dremel type tool with the proper drill bit will easily do the job. Light pressure let the drill do the work.

When I started with these rods I used 5 min epoxy as I thought it would give me more time to position the parts together and clean up easily done with alcohol. I would be interested in how you found the CA to work with as a first time attempt.

I don't use them much any more as I have gone to the carbon fiber with titanium ends that Central Hobbies sells. I have found these much stiffer and less than half the diameter of the others. They even have 6X32 ends for those extra heavy duty applications.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 06-27-2010 at 07:29 AM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

DOnt use thin CA. It will harden too fast, it grabs right away.

This is a job (like many others) for thick CA in the yellow bottle. It works slow, and doesnt run. Just let it dry for 5 minutes and you are good to go.

I use a lot of CA where others would use epoxy. I dont want to get into any glue wars, but thick CA is really handy, and suprisingly very very tough. But it takes a while to harden up - which is good in many cases where you need time to work or assemble parts.

I have worked a lot of carbon rod, cloth, sheet in my models. I machine it like anything else, it will drill, sand, etc similarly to fibreglass. The arrow shafts are unidirectional (all fibres going in the same direction) and thats why they can split if you are ham-fisted. But thin ca can also prevent or fix small splits. Gluing carbin rods with CA is extremely strong since the carbin wicks the glue into the fibres very easily, unlike some composites which do not do this.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

BonJour Jean .

Wow , .............. thanks for all the help . I,ve learnt a lot here . All of my questions have been answered . Even the one,s that I didn,t ask ( because I didn,t know better ). ( I know about the dangers of carbon fiber , thanks for the heads up )

I love this place

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane

Last edited by michel gravelle; 06-29-2010 at 05:02 PM.
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.