Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Servos for 1/4 Scale

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Pat, I have the AT6 just about ready to fly. I was able to scrounge up 7 HS82MG servos plus a Hitec retract servo for the gear. With the retracts and scale split flaps, she's a real beauty. Should be flying soon, I'll let you know!

As far as your choice in motors go, I really don't know enough about power requirements to give you any solid advice on which motor to use.

I'm flying a Funtana 125 which has an AUW close to 10lbs and I was using a Turnigy 50-65-350kv and 5000mAH 6S lipos (22.2v). This motor seems to have more than enough power! Pull to vertical at full throttle and the plane just doesn't stop going and going!!

I've now switched to the Turnigy Aerodrive .SK50-65-380kv motor, Tz 85A ESC/SBEC, swinging a 19" X 10e to 20" X 8e prop. This motor has even more power. I will be flying IMAC scale aerobatics with this setup!

Knowing you, you'll want to just fly your Scout very scale like. (no 3-D stuff - no harsh aerobatics) IF you can keep the weight to less than 15lbs, this motor may even do the trick for you. You should check it out on-line at Hobby King. Awesome motor, lots of power and at $39.85 USD, it would be considerably less expensive than a 110 purchased locally would cost you.

You also mentioned perhaps going to an e-Flite 160 size because of the weight? Check out the Turnigy Aerodrive 160 SK63-64-230kv. Power to fly up to 1/3 scale airplanes with up to 100" wing span. And the price is only $59.15 USD.

SK50-65-380kv Motor = similar to the e-Flite 90. Planes 90 size and larger.

SK63-64-230kv Motor = similar to the e-Flite 160. Planes up to 1/3 scale.

Just a couple of suggestions my friend. It would be up to you to check them out to make sure they have the power you need.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 07-08-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick Konkle

Total Props: 0
Re: Servos for 1/4 Scale

HI Gary

Thank you, I will for sure check out the Turnigy stuff. It is a far sight less expesive than E-Flite.
As for the Texan ,I'll bet you've done her up great. I would love to see her up there. Please do let me know how she handles.

Thanks Pat
HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.