RC Insurance - Page 10 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #91
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: RC Insurance

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Last I remember the minimum number had been reduced from 5 to 3 to form a club. My understanding was to try and address a need when our insurance changed. Our coverage has since been reinstated so it's moot point. When it went to a 3 member minimum I know of a few instances where a third was needed and an application for membership was sent with permission though they would remain a none flying member. All the benefits including MAAC coverage were in effect.

As to personal liability insurance I too enjoy the security of extra coverage. First purchased not for flying but for instances that might occur outside of my normal activities. It's a bonus that it would cover a little over and above what I have in my regular policies. I don't think you could compare it to MAAC as it lacks many of the important features one of which is coverage for the land owner. It's a neat supplement but is very narrow in it's coverage and is not accepted or recognized as sufficient to allow participation at MAAC fields or events.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #92
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: mike hocksinner
Radio of choice:
hitec a-9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

Good point mike. I think farmer fields should be allowed if proper safe conduct was observed.
groo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #93
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Originally Posted by Mike Emilio View Post
Expected at an affiliated club, but how many casual land owners will want you putting up barrier fences on their property.
And who would want to carry portable barriers everywhere they go.

The Safety Guidlines seem to be directed at clubs, but not specifically in the Safety Code. I would say a majority of casual use of private property would not meet requirements, unless it were already an affiliated club.

Ps, , ,
With the recent gift MAAC receive of $100,000, I would say that would make MAAC a very rich$$ organization. I'm waiting to see whats done of benefit to the membership.

There are lots of clubs that operate with a MAAC club sanction that do not have the safety equipement exactly as per the MAAC guidelines. Use of a field with the written permission of the landowner will be covered by MAAC insurance as long as everyone flying there has MAAC.

I agree with Ron and I don't think people flying off fields with permission that are not MAAC clubs are not "rogue" fliers. The "rogue" fliers are the ones who expect to fly at a MAAC sanctioned field and do not have thier MAAC. Our local club is on city land and there are a few who seem to think it's thier "right" to fly there...

The actually hope MAAC uses the money to strengthen it's finances by putting it aside. Don't forget that the MAAC membership dropped sharply in 2010 causing a loss of expected revenue very close to the amount donated. Also don't forget that a few years ago our insurance carrier dropped MAAC and the next best thing was $$$$ more.

I just hope this downward membership trend doesn't continue.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #94
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dave J
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

[QUOTE=byrocat;812814]Hey, Brad!

I believe that you have to have three MAAC members sign the application form. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in the rules that says that the three MAAC members have to belong to the club (though I'd check with Clair our ZD on this).

I have been filing our clubs paperwork for the past few years. It only takes one name and online that is just putting my initials in the box. You do not need three signatures.

And as for the the barrier fence, only the pilot station needs it, make a portable one. If your pit area is more than 13M from your flight line it does not require a fence as per MAAC guidelines.

Taber Night Hawks RC Flying Club

Last edited by DaveJohansen; 03-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
DaveJohansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #95
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 14

Originally Posted by DaveJohansen View Post
And as for the the barrier fence, only the pilot station needs it, make a portable one. If your pit area is more than 13M from your flight line it does not require a fence as per MAAC guidelines.

Not so, as per MAAC guidelines you do NOT need a barrier fence if the pilot station is 10M or more away from the flight line. Have a look at the MAAC field layout, the numbers on the left are the minimal distances that you have to have in order NOT to have any barriers and the explanation is on the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Kargon; 03-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #96
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Thanks for the good lively discussion guys!

Looks like the MAAC rules are still open to a little "interpretation" & not as cut & dried as some are making them out to be! A little flexibility is essential in this great & diverse country or this sport/hobby will go the way of the dodo bird.

On the issue of "renegade, rogue, loner" (whatever label you want to stick on us) fliers, I fail to see how our hobby is or could be any less legitimate than those who have the opportunity to fly as a group. Should the kids playing hockey in the neighbourhood be rounded up & burnt at the stake because they don't belong to the NHL? NO! We all want to play with the big boys! Nobody wants to be unsafe! Some of us don't have the opportunity & some of us are just sick of group politics! Free country - yet. Ignore the idiots on U tube, they are just sick exhibitionists! Enough said!

Good to hear of the change to 3 member clubs! Very welcome!

I will track down our area MAAC rep. for further discussion.

Thanks all!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #97
greg 1696
RCC Apprentice
I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

Just thought I would put my two cents worth in. I am an insurance broker in Alberta for 35 year, I am a full size pilot and sell aircraft insurance for full size aircraft as well as general insurance. I have been a modeler for 40 years. The problem with the issue is that every liability policy[except and aviation policy] has an aircraft exclusion. I have had underwriters at insurance companies tell me that they personally don't consider and RC model to be an aircraft any more than an electric train is a locamotive. The danger in my opinion is that the coverage is sold "carte blanche" and only after a claim is presented is it deceided that the Giant scale aircraft is not a model but an "aircraft" and thereby excluded. I agree that in the end run a court may side with the insured as most people do not fully understand the defintions and exclusions of their policy. I believe the only way to be sure of coverage is to have your insurer "remove the aircraft exclusion" of clearly define what they mean as an aircraft. I have over the years insured many well know hobby shops. I always insisted that the aircraft exclusion be deleted as they were selling items which by most definitions would be considered aircraft.

Greg Hilderman
greg 1696 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #98
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
We are in the same situation out here in rural Sask, Merv. We would have to drive 100 miles in any direction to get to a sanctioned MAAC field, so we all mainly fly Rogue. Out here we pretty much have no choice...we fly Rogue or we don't fly at all... and I am not going to sit back and not fly.

Curtis, considering yourselves as 'rogue' fliers is the wrong term. Just because you are flying at a non-MAAC site does not make you rogue fliers as far as the definition goes. I would class 'rogue' fliers as guys that are out endangering themselves, everyone around them and with no regard for others, and by their actions harming the reputations of the whole RC community. You and the majority of the other guys flying at non-MAAC sites around the country are not doing this.

Yeah, maybe Rogue is the wrong term.... maybe geographically challenged is more appropriate.

No matter what we are called, if the insurance won't work for us or with us, it has no purpose.

I will be checking the MAAC website for the "new" rules for us poor old country folk!

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #99
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Looks like the 16 oz foamy would be at fault since no 3D aerobatics below 10 meters can be performed with any other aircraft in the air.

3D Flight is defined as any deliberate maneuver where the aircraft's flying surfaces are stalled and the airplane doesn't move in a normal flight path. (Ex. Airplane hovering, blender, harrier pass). When operating any Radio Control model airplane performing 3D aerobatics MAAC members will adhere to the following:
R/C 3D Aerobatics (airplanes)
1. I will not deliberately perform any 3D aerobatics without announcing my intentions to the other flying R/C Pilots.
2. I will not perform low level (less than 10 metres) 3D airplane aerobatics along the flight-line while other aircraft are airborne.
3. I will follow any safety rules as established by the Scale Aerobatics committee.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #100
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Originally Posted by Pauld View Post
I just hope this downward membership trend doesn't continue.

I feel it will. With the manufacturer's pumping out smaller "park type" aircraft at an exponential rate. More and more people are drawn to that aspect of the hobby. New people starting up are being offered that route and not even being told about MAAC or flying clubs.
I have seen more than one Hobby shop selling these "new" rc aircraft, and never mention it would be a good idea to join a club for guidance or instruction. Or anything about MAAC.
" Oh yeah, just take it out to your local school yard. No Problem "

$$$$$ This is all they see

Mind you. not all shops do this. but some do
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.