Brushless Motor Winding - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Quinn R

Total Props: 1
Question Brushless Motor Winding

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm getting ready to purchase my first electric brushless motor. Being a rookie at electrics, I was wondering what significance the number of windings has on the motor? Does more windings = more torque/power?

eskimo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Brushless Motor Winding

In the old brushed days, the smaller the number of windings the higher the current draw and the higher the RPM.

Of more importance today in brushless motors would be the number of poles and the KV rating of the motor.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don M

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
...Does more windings = more torque/power?

Not really. Speed and torque are a trade off. Looking at similar sized outrunners, generally the more turns means less torque and more speed and smaller prop, less turns would be bigger prop less speed and more torque. Here is a chart with similar sized outrunners you can look at.

When getting started best and cheapest way to size motor for your model is to search forums (here, RCGroups and others) for threads on the airframe you need a motor for and search the thread for motors that others have used and work well in that airframe. Otherwise you end up with a collection of motors in the drawer, don't ask how I know. Also read up on how to size the battery and esc properly to accommodate the selected motor/prop combination. You will also definitely want a watt meter.
Lakota is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9

Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
I'm getting ready to purchase my first electric brushless motor. Being a rookie at electrics, I was wondering what significance the number of windings has on the motor? Does more windings = more torque/power?

Less windings = more power = slower speed = Larger/greater pitch prop

When considering a model use the following article to figure out how much power you need.

Calculating power is simple once you have all the facts.. Power = Battery Voltage x Motor Current.

The problem is getting the correct values.. For my calculations on a 3 Cell battery is use 12V as the average voltage. You have to look at a the motor specs to determine the current it will draw. Some sites post 30A(lucky you) or they only post the power 610W and they also post the operational voltage in number of cells, 3 -7 cells. So you have to figure out if that's 610W on 7 cells or 3 cells. Generally the motor will draw the equivalent current to get the same 610W, on 3 cells that will be twice the current as compared to a 6 cell battery (which the motor windings may not be able to handle) and this is a very important number to consider as it affects the ESC you choose and battery sizing.

Make sure the ESC current rating is at least 25% greater than the maximum current rating you need to avoid burning it up or thermal shutdown.

Last issue is selecting a battery with the appropriate mAh value and C rating to give you the current draw you need to supply the motor with the current it needs ...

What a lot to consider, I agree with the suggestion that you should research the model you plan to fly in order to select the correct setup instead of reinventing the wheel. A lot of the opinions are usually way over powered (too much weight as a result) as electric is still new and most people don't correctly calculate the required power for the model.

Have fun............
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.