Different Glues - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4
Re: Different Glues

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'll just share my opinion of glues that I typically use (and that is just about one of every type).

Epoxy is the strongest and typically the long to cure. I have never seen it break down in the presence of any fuel or water. It is a heavier glue because it cures, so that the liquids become solid (no evaporation of liquid). I use it exclusively for big structural stuff like firewalls, wing joining, LG mounts, stabs, fins and hinges. You can clean up epoxy with alcohol before it cures.

Carpenter's glue (in many forms) is stronger than the wood it's holding together. It is waterproof when dry. I can't say for certain that it's fuel proof, but I've never had a problem with it. It is light because the liquid portion of the glue evaporates. Set time is slow. I use wood glue (Titebond) for just about every building chore outside of those used for epoxy. I find most people underrate it, but it is really THAT good! It is also easy to clean up the joints and blobs just before it's cured with a damp rag. It has no toxicity; you can eat the stuff if you wanted.

Gorilla is great stuff. Strong, light and cures quickly. It makes a hell of a mess if you use too much because it actually expands. Beware that the parts are WELL clamped. It can be used like wood glue. You can speed the cure by pre wetting the parts with water. I know it's waterproof, but can't comment about fuel resistance.

CA is VERY fast to set. It seems to be water and fuel resistant. CA cures, so it doesn't lose weight. Fortunately, you don't need much to get a strong bond. I question it's longevity. I have had a few ARFs and find they've all had problems with CA joints coming apart. That's not an opinion; it is a fact. Maybe thicker CAs hold up better than the thins. ARFs are typically made with CA because of the fast cure. Time = Money.

Ambroid glue is one that seems to have been forgotten about. It is an evaporator. It's not horribly strong but has a couple really remarkable uses. It can't be beat for edge joining sheets of balsa. I also use it to coat end grains of balsa because it stiffens the fibres and makes the end grain beautiful for smooth finish sanding.

The #1 trick with all the glues????

Tight joints!

Trick #2: Double gluing end joints. Apply a coat of glue to the end joints and allow to soak in a bit. Then apply another coat and join the pieces.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate

Last edited by wymbly1971; 02-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Thumbs up Re: Different Glues

Great info, thanks! I used a lot of yellow carpenter's glue on my last build and find it really good to work with. I also moved from thin to medium CA glue a while back a like using it more. You didn't mention windshield glue, but that's very useful stuff as well for flexible applications and plastic to wood.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

Re. Gorilla glue: It can be removed with straight acetone. It'll remove CA too.

For foam, I have 2 favorites:

Beacon Foam-Tac: A contact cement like glue that dries clear and slightly rubbery. It does not contain harmful solvents so it's foam safe. When used as a contact cement, the parts can be handled immediately after they are pressed together. The bond is usually much stronger than the foam itself and it also works well for 'glue' hinges on EPP foamies.

Beacon Hold-The Foam: A thick white glue. Tacks up pretty quickly and is non-toxic. However, it needs 2-3 hours to cure sufficiently before it can be handled. It's also not advised for big wide joints as it needs air to cure.

Something else I'm trying lately is LePage Pres-Tite Green (water based) contact cement. I'm using to laminate sheets of foam. I've just attempted this so no impressions yet.

Anyway, I realize the OP was talking about balsa/wood...

I've only built a bit with Balsa. Hoping to do more though. I really like the idea of less toxic glues like Super Phatic.

As for CA, I hate the stuff like the plague. But sometimes there are no better options.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

I use CA, epoxy where required, and Weldbond (white glue) and it works great!
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
John M.
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

Carpenter's glue for just about everything and swipe the joint with a damp paintbrush while the glue is still wet. Removes the excess and makes a neater joint.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.