Battery Monitor - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15
Re: Battery Monitor

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by moo View Post
I like the red and blue broccoli rubber bands
You must eat a lot of broccoli!
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Hobby King has a lot of neat gadgets for checking lipo battery packs.

I purchased a Quanum Battery Telemetry System. It's actually 2.4 Ghz with an on board transmitter that plugs into the balance plug of the Lipo. A Receiver monitor attatches to your radio Tx and displays in real time the individual cell voltage of the pack as well as the total voltage. Also as the pack reaches the safe voltage cutoff, it sounds an alarm giving you ample time to land the plane without ever over discharging the battery pack.

The system works very well and you can at a glance anytime during the flight see where your battery voltage is. This allows max usage of the battery without ever going into power down or going below the safe voltage limit.

It is expensive though compared to the battery checkers under discussion here. You sure can't beat having such a neat useful little tool for only $3. I guess the big difference is that I don't have to land the plane to check the battery voltage but it sure cost a lot more for that convenience.

I think I will order a couple of these $3 checkers with my next order from HK. I like the idea of being able to easily check all the packs quickly before flying them.

Great discussion, thanks for sharing!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #13
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

I got one of the $3 type ones quite a while ago from someone on RCC and liked it - found it quite accurate enough for general use. In this part of the world they are $13 and I paid him $10. I think Adrenaline may have them, at a guess.
Philipa, I like your idea of rubber bands around the pack and yes Moo, the ones from broccoli would work well!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 2
Thumbs up Re: Battery Monitor

Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
In this part of the world they are $13 and I paid him $10.

How about less than $3.50 for up to 4 cell including shipping to anywhere in the world?

If you are prepared to wait a few weeks then here is a great alternative. I bought 5 of them when they were about $2.50 each and have them in various places (car trunks etc). They are a great way (as already described above) for a quick check and frankly the ones I have are incredibly accurate!

They even have a video on the site as to how to use them. BTW.. In the past they have also carried 6 cell variants.

Apart from these, Dealextreme have some amazing deals and everything ships free. HOWEVER - I can tell you from multiple orders shipping can vary from less than a week to 6 weeks - but for the price you can't go wrong and there is always the trash can for junky impulse buys!

EDIT : Decided to add a test video that is quite usefull.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Go fly before it is too late!

Last edited by Chrisfly; 07-07-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Chrisfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.