Hobbyking Experience - Snap Poll! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-4 how has your overall experince with HobbyKing been?
Outstanding! 44 50.57%
Acceptable 33 37.93%
Borderline Okay 8 9.20%
Terrible! 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 2
Hobbyking Experience - Snap Poll!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Okay Folks

So I have seen all the for and against HobbyKing banter and so I decided to put up a poll. I just wanted to get a better view of how folks are making out.

Please only vote if you have used them - this is not a promotional stunt or anti the LHS, it is simply a question to see what sort of light they are viewed in by the members of this forum.

For my part I have only had 100% success with my 10 or so orders varying in price from less that $10 to $350 a shot.
Go fly before it is too late!
Chrisfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5
Re: Hobbyking Experience - Snap Poll!

14 orders, around $850, only 1 dud retract servo .. some servos were only so-so .. batteries and motors are very good, most connectors were good, chargers and other electronics were good. Backorders often take much longer than the advertised 30 days..
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

HK has been great for me, so far! I have ordered about 30 to 40 LiPo batteries from HK and they have all been great! In fact, I have ordered more LiPo batteries and heat shrink tubing, all at a fraction of the cost of "brand" name batteries and the heat shrink tubing is dirt cheap with great quality at a fraction of the cost of "brand" name heat shrink!

I have also ordered serveral parts, chargers, tools, and other useful things! The prices have been tremendous and quality is quite good.

Like the majority of people, I will continue to order from HK!

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance... www.ballroomdancelessons.ca
All for One, One for All... www.scarboroughfencing.on.ca

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Never actually bought anything but I signed up for notification about 3 months ago regarding the 9cyl. Seidel and today they notified me that there are 5 instock.
I guess that's pretty good service......not sure that I buying one though.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

They have been of decent quality, but I only buy items that I have used personally in the past or have researched very well. Typically lipos, servo's, and certain motors. I weed out the junk and will not buy items that I don't know about or get negative reviews (from other forums). I have not had issues with any of my HK purchased products.

From date of order, it takes 10-15 business days. Much of the delay is on HK's end as I've seen it take 5 days just to process the order and get it out the door.

Many times, the products I need are out of stock for weeks and even months. I refuse to order items on backorder.

They are OK, but I have found other vendors that are much better at customer service, quality of products, and speed of order processing. I no longer order from them.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 1

would you be willing to post these vendors whom you find to be much better at service, quality and hopefully price for us fellow modelers to know of? it would surely help us who are feeling the pinch of delayed service and product quality....
slash60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

To say I've bought a lot from hobbyking (and the other names they've used) over the last couple years would be an understatement.

Planes, radios, receivers, servos, motors, esc's, chargers, monocote, etc, etc.
Delivery used to be within a week from the time an order was placed .... with the latest postal/battery fiasco, delivery is about three weeks from the time an order is placed.

I've had a few bad products, which were returned and replaced or cash credited with no problems.

It's not the only place I shop, but it sure is the least expensive and I get the best bang for my buck.
MAAC # 81375 30 Planes and 2 Belt CP Helicopters a WK 4G6 FBL, v120Do2s FBL a Nine Eagles Solo Pro, a quad mini-pet, a quad WK Ladybird, and a quad WLT 959.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
RCC Noob
I am: Kelly Vallee
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

My biggest problem it the shipping time.
vallee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: jesse f

Total Props: 0

bought tons of 4cell 2200 turnigys from them and never had a problem. Then on my last order of ten batteries it took almost 1.5 months to come in. They say that they were experiencing a bit of shipping issues but that its fixed now.
besides for the price of one or two bad batteries i can take, but i wouldnt order anything else from them gotta support the locals. you can not beat the battery quality and price though lol
there is a reason you can unplug the main motor
if everyone threw their problems in a pile you would take yours back

Last edited by sniperfoote; 07-05-2010 at 05:16 PM.
sniperfoote is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

I've had great experiences with them. Shipping has almost always been quick and the products have been very decent. You really can't beat the price on their LiPos and for that price, the performance is really decent!

I've used mostly airplane stuff from them. From 2s to 12s and everything in between. Their SK series Turnigy motors have been my go-to motors for everything I've flown in electrics. All have given me excellent performance and, in almost every case, better than what my buddies at the field have gotten out of their expensive name-brand stuff.

I've also used some of their building supplies such as their CA glues and velcro and many of their servo leads and battery connectors. Everything has been of excellent quality and about a quarter the price of most of the stuff you get from North American markets.

I certainly won't hesitate to continue using their stuff and will buy from them as long as they're around.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.