Idiosyncrasies of Inverted Engines - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Don W
Radio of choice:
JR 783
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Idiosyncrasies of Inverted Engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am running an OS 61 FX inverted in a Hangar 9 P-51. I have noticed that the engine is not nearly as reliable as I would like. On my first flight this year with this aircraft I had a dead stick only a few minutes into the flight. I changed the plug to a new one (OS # eight) and it seemed to help.

I was just wondering, is it normal for inverted engines to be a bit fussier and even die outright from time to time (ie excess fuel kills the glow or something?)?

MAAC 7674
Aurora Model Aircraft Club
CanajunFlyBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: Idiosyncrasies of Inverted Engines

Make sure that the engine can cool properly. Air directly to cylinder and head as well as a way for the hot cooling air to get out, also make sure the center of the tank is below the center of the carb. If your engine has remote needle, you can move the remote needle above the center of the tank.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

As far as I'm concerned any 2 stroke or 4 stroke mounted inverted is a handicap.
It might work consistent for some, but I have never had much luck myself.

They simply load-up too easilly.

I put the big OS BGX-1 (35cc), in an 85" Edge inverted.
Wound up spending more time fussing with it than anything else, , , , what a mistake.
I switched it over to horizontal and a Pitts muffler, , , never had the slightest problem since.

Last edited by Mike Emilio; 07-23-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
E Smith
RCC Contributor

The largest engine I have run is a 1.20 4 stroke.

I have run many engines of different sizes. Be they 4 stroke, 2 stroke. upright, sideways, inverted, sport or racing engines. Once they were set they all ran OK, no difference. All of the usual rules apply, cooling, muffler pressure, tank/carb position, etc, etc.

R/C Pylon Racing. When Sex, Drugs and Booze just does not do it!
E Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
If your engine has remote needle, you can move the remote needle above the center of the tank.

The position of the remote needle does nothing. It is the position of the spraybar & venturi (where the fuel comes out) that determines how the engine runs in relation to the fuel tank.

VERY different things...

I am with Ed... a properly set up engine, with a good plug and proper tank location should allow the engine to run just as well upright, inverted or sideways.

How come so many guys with good running upright engines, dont have issues with flying around inverted, for extended periods of time (you know, doing inverted circuits)? Its no different.

Inverted engines need a proper set up/tuning to run ideal.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

While I wold agree with Ed and AJC that properly setup the engine should run fine, I have found that 4S are a little more forgiving than 2S probably because of the offset of the glow plug.
That having been said you may find that your 61FX may never setup properly because the needle seat is cast as part of the backplate and the heat transfer makes needle setting on this engine unreliable. I had one on a Stik (side mounted wide open no cowl) for one season and it was the most frustrating engine I have ever owned. Was always quitting one me.
Since then OS has introduced the AX series of engines with the needle either back on the carb angled backwards or with a composite needle which they claim in their own advertising reduces heat transfer to the needle seat and fuel bubbling/foaming.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.