General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: John H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Smile my first twin

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i purchased a C-160 Transall from a fellow rc canada member in the spring and it should be ready to go soon. i could not find ANY reasonably priced .25's anywhere in canada. $150 for an O.S. 25 ax is darned ridiculous in my opinion and i would have needed two. i finally bought two Thunder Tiger Pro 36's from tower hobbies in the states. i paid $158 U.S. including tax and shipping to my door in seven days for the pair. anyway, i have several hundred hours of flying time in full size twins(cessna 401, 404, 421, piper seminole, navajo), but what should i know about rc twins? any helpful hints would be gretaly appreciated. cheers, john.
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Glenn Nigh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Re: my first twin

John, Wear Diaper for the first flights! )) Get both motors broken in and reliable. Tach them as close as you can. Good luck you will love it. The sound is awesome!
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 8

Sounds like its going to be fun John.
Vintage Mini owner/lover
Better To Be divided by TRUTH, Than United In Error.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ken Park

I had the odd engine out on the GP profile P-38 with 2 FX.25's The model was very fast and a tad heavy and never did have much of a glide. Landing normally were fast flat and level letting the grass slow here down. If motor goes out best goto full throttle the motor to keep the airspeed up and air going over the tail feathers. Limp back doing gentle turns and throttle back just before touch down. This saved me twice. 99% of time tacked engines and had no problems. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P38.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	83036  
Not Happy? - Form your own Jet club "OVJ"
ken park is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Quote: "...Tach them as close as you can."

No two engines are going to run exactly the same at the exact RPM. One engine may be optimal but the other may either be a tad rich or a tad lean and you will find that engine is the one that will quit on you in flight.

Your best bet is to set each engine up individually for optimal running and leave them at that. Don't worry about the difference in RPM just fly the plane. You will find that you seldom if ever will have one engine flame out and the difference in RPM will be hardly noticeable if at all!

Had a friend at the club so frustrated with his twin that he decided to list it for sale. Said he never completed a flight without one engine quitting on him. He said he spent a lot of time tuning and tacking to get both engines at approx the same RPM but he always got one engine flaming out.

I offered my suggestion and he and I tuned each engine individually as stated above. He flew his plane for a 12 minute flight and landed with both engines running. He said that was the first time ever that he landed under full power. He kept the plane and very rairly ever had that problem again.

I cannot remember which month and year but I had found this info in a Model Airplane News magazine some years ago and it works every time!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 08-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I've seen many a twin auger in due to an inexperienced flier at the sticks. Asymmetrical thrust can be a killer or "Nothing" depending on the plane. You need to know how your plane handles on one engine. Each plane is different, even from the same model, they behave differently (this is before cookie cutter "arf" days)

In either case ALWAYS have a backup plan of CUTTING THE REMAINING ENGINE when you have an engine out and control is questionable. Once the second engine is out, the plane handles normally again. Bring 'er in for a deadstick landing and you are safe.

Most of my twins fly great on one engine. I can fly full circuits, left and right turns on one engine. I did get cocky once and tried to continue flying after I had an engine out just after takeoff and tried to "bully" it into the air, I should have cut the good engine and landed straight ahead!!. I couldn't maintain directional control at low speed and the high angle of attack that was needed at take-off. It ended up sweeping right and got stuck in a tree, but no damage, only hurt my ego. That was the one and only incident I had with a twin giving me trouble.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: William M.

Total Props: 0

I love flying my twin. It's sound and speed are amazing. I had one engine quit on the maiden flight. What a knee knocker that was.... Luckily I had enough airspeed to be able to throttle the good engine up to fly the circuit and bring her home in one piece. It all depends on the height or airspeed your twin is flying at when you lose one engine. If you have enough height you can dive a little to bring the airspeed up,then bring the throttle up on the good engine.
Most twins will fly with one engine as I'm sure you know. I think it all depends on the airspeed, what your action should be when you lose an engine. Slow airspeed, bring throttle back to idle or dead stick as Max explained. Or if airspeed and height are permissable, throttle up good engine and fly her home.
As far as setting up engines, I tach both engines to get peak RPM,then richen a few clicks as you would normally. Then knowing the engine that has the higher RPM I richen it further to bring the RPM to within 100 RPM of the slower engine. Always richen the engine with the higher RPM to the slower engine. Provided the engine you richen does not four cycle (2 stroke engines). If it four cycles to much then it becomes a throttle servo set up issue.
When I set the idle I use my sub trims on my radio to bring them as close as possible.
I have used this set up procedure now for the many flights I have had with my twin, and I have had no other issues with engine out senarios.
Just a few things to be aware of. Once you get over the initial fears of twin engine aircraft you will find that twins are not that complicated and are very enjoyable to fly.
Good luck and may you enjoy many,many flights with your twin...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	930104949_cCy6r-O.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	83087  
McFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.