catastophic engine failures - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Re: catastophic engine failures

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I can speak to one 100cc twin cylinder gasser - seized up in flight -after a couple of years of running (albeit at less than advertised power)
Fortunately the Katana flies nicely deadstick and it landed safely. Not sure what Gary has in mind for the twisted metal now

I'll never know but the piston seems to have welded itself to the cylinder.

And I recall having to get a new crank for a Saito 150 - can't recall the details but I think it snapped.

Can't recall having any other serious issues with any motor (outside crash damage)
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

I had a PAW 35 that broke a crank pin at idle on me. Once I took it apart I found out it was my own fault. I had squirted a product called fluid film in the engine for storeage. What I found was a glob of jelly on top of the piston. Looks like the product gelled in the crank case and once it warmed up it slid up the transfer port and created a hydraulic lock, hence breaking the crank. Other than that I've been lucky. Even my 1/2a stuff hasn't let me down, mind you I am not spinning them at big rpm's either.
Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

Not sure if you were around at the time Andrew but I had bench run a brand new Saito .91 for two tanks of fuel as per the manual, tweaking it on the second tank of fuel. I installed it in a CGM Super Chipmunk and flew it a dozen flights or so of perfect flying. This was my first plane other than a trainer so I was taking it pretty easy keeping it well on the rich side and definitely not over revving it.

Then I traveled almost 700 Km to go to the TARMAC funfly in Earlton Ont.

Got everything setup and got ready to fly. Nothing in particular was out of place. I primed the engine and gave it one backflip against the compression and it started right off. Taxied out advanced to full throttle and did a beautiful takeoff. First crosswind turn then turned downwind and there was a loud POP! The engine had stopped instantly. I thought maybe I had just thrown a prop or something. Landed with no incident about 5 feet from myself. The prop was still on the engine but when I tried to turn it over it was seized solid.

Pulled the engine and took it apart right there at the field. The connecting rod had let go and was jammed solid.

I sent the engine back to Horizon along with a label off the fuel jug I was using to show I was using good fuel. I also sent in a copy of the receipt for the tach I had bought just to set the engine up properly during and after break in. Also sent in a detailed note explaining how I had done the break in and tweaking along with explaination of the event at which the engine failed.

I guess I had done things properly because 2 weeks later I got a package from Horizon Hobby containing a brand spanking new Saito 91, no questions asked, not even a comment on what they expected had gone wrong. Needless to say I was very happy with their service and with the new engine! That was the one and only catastrophic engine failure I have experienced in my almost 20 years of RC flying.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 08-14-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: sport f

Total Props: 1

I have had 2 failures in 20 years of sport flying. I broke the con rod pin off the crank shaft. This was repaired under warranty as it was almost new.
The second one was a complete write off. The connecting rod broke off at the crankshaft. It came through the side of the case also destroying the sleeve. I suspect 100 + jugs of nitro fuel have gone through this engine over the years.
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy S

Total Props: 2

What about this for a catastrophic failure?

This is a full size Nemisis NXT shedding a prop at the Reno air races. The short-lived howl the engine makes under no load is terriflying. I wonder how many RPM it hit before it self destructed? Fortunately the engine stayed in its mounts and the pilot executed a skillful dead stick landing.
MAAC# 31956
j3_av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

I had one failure in 16 years. The wrist pin retainer clip let go on a .46 glow mid-flight. The rpm dropped slightly from full throttle as the clip started to jam up against the cylinder wall and just as I thought "I wonder what that's all about" the motor seized so fast and hard that the prop nut, spinner and prop spun off. I landed the plane fine but never did find the prop or spinner.
rc300xs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.