torque tube vs belt drive - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Re: torque tube vs belt drive

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had an Ergo 60 that was hassle free with the belt driven tail. The Radikal seems to run just fine also with the belt driven tail.

I can see a properly set up torque tube drive having less drag and therefore less power used for tail transmission - but that is the only benefit I can think of that makes a whole lot of difference.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 10

Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I am looking for the pro's and cons of using a torque tube setup over a belt drive. I am comparing the Align T rex 450 pro vs the 450 se. thanks
As you do not say what your proficiency level is, in that particular heli, the belt will be more capable of taking abuse while training.

If you would be asking which has better performance - then it would be the torque tube - that is why, like most brands, the t/t is what they offer in in their top versions or as an upgrade for their lesser versions.
Phil Noel
Leisure-Tech Products
Phil Noel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
I am: kopter

Total Props: 2

Torque tubes cost more to acquire and repair and that's a good thing for any company selling parts. I highly doubt anyone reading this post can utilize the full powered flight performance or potential of a belt drive.

Personally I think the shaft drive sucks for most applications and is over rated, plus anyone who thinks a TT will make them a better pilot is dreaming. A better mechanic, yes indeed.

If you do aggressive 3D and routinely scrape the tail blades, the belt is definately the way to go. Sure the belt might have a bit more friction but they seem to auto fine, even the 50 will do inverted autos with a belt drive-maybe even throw in a piro before touch down.

The TT system has more consumable bits on my glows than the belt. Typically the repair cost is double and the maintenance time can be even more.

I'm a belt drive man I am, I am!
Kopter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Funny, this argument comes up time and time again in the RC car racing world! Shaft or belt, belt or shaft? In the racing world there was never any real dominance of one over the other when raced head to head. Power-wise, they were pretty much identical. I raced with both and never noticed any real difference except that I was always able to make my drive-train freer with the shaft drive. However, this rarely translated to faster lap times for me.

Efficiency difference between the two systems are negligible, at least from a car standpoint, which is a better benchmark than helis because of the statistical nature of racing over flying.

As far as durability is concerned, shaft drives were definitely a bit more on the brittle side, all pretty much using a crown. They did have a tendency to strip on impacts with the boards. So this sounds very much like what people are saying about TT helis.

It's kind of interesting how the different systems can translate between hobbies.

If I was just starting out, I would definitely gravitate toward the belt system just for the durability factor, but as has been said, there's a bit of a maintenance factor with the belts. Shafts are kind of 'set and forget', unless you have an incident.

My take would be this: if you go with the TT setup, keep a spare setup on hand in case you strip a gear. I have a feeling that you wouldn't need as many spares with the belt system. This is all speculation (except the car part) as I don't fly helis, but it seems like the systems are pretty much the same.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Really I think it just depends on the individual. Kopter hates 'em, I love 'em. Given the option I'll go with a well designed TT system over the belt any time. You get better stops, longer autos, and less maintenance.

No I can't "outfly" a belt system, but you don't have to be ASJ to notice the difference. I for one rarely crash my helis, and don't plant my tail in the dirt when autoing or landing ever. So even just the fact that I don't have to worry about my TT snapping in flight is enough reason for me to like that over the belt.

To each their own. Both systems are available. That's the beauty of choice. Kopter can have his belt AND I can have my TT! :P
uʍop ǝpısdn ʇı op sʎnƃ ılǝɥ
rotormonkey13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.