MAC Mag ... looking for feedback - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: MAC Mag ... looking for feedback

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
MRK, that's a great idea but I would assume that the newsletter is part MAAC's benefits to membership. Once a newsletter / magazine is in PDF form you pretty much lose control of it's distribution.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by Keith Morison View Post
Each of the last two issues has included page listings for stand-alone articles, zones and committees on page 4... I expect to continue this.
ah, cool, I haven't received any MAC mag's yet this year but I only renewed at the very beginning of June. Couldn't remember how often the mag's are supposed to come out so I haven't really worried about it.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Other than the hip hop mentioned earlier the only complaint I have ever had is with the intermingling of the French and English Language. I Cannot see why the magazine could have an english section and a french section, which in my humble opinion would add a bit of continuity to the magazine.Other than that I find it good
I have to admit, I'm not a member yet so I'm guessing the magazine is split 50/50 between both languages. Wouldn't it be better to offer the magazine in English OR French rather than both? Would this cut postage costs? I know that most people in the west are invariably skipping over the French portion anyway and I'm pretty sure that's what's happening in the French speaking households too. It's pretty easy to split the magazine run, just have the language preference as mandatory. This could allow for a bigger magazine being mailed out for the same postage cost. (I'm also assuming MAAC has a PUB agreement with Canada Post to save on costs)
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #24
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
I used to be one of Keith’s critics when the magazine was late. After being chairman of one of the committees and having a hard time meeting my deadline for a single column on more than one occasion I have a new appreciation for how Keith juggles the task and many personalities for each issue. The look and feel of the magazine continues to improve. The addition of articles and wonderful pictures should not be at the expense of communications between members, the SIGs and the executive. As past scale chairman there were many times I had trouble getting all the stuff that was submitted to me into one column including pictures. The eye candy is great Keith but I can get that in any number of magazines. This is the only publication that keeps me abreast of what piques my interest in Canada.

I agree entirely with Dennis: The MAAC magazine is a credit to MAAC and a unique vehicle for information that is very important to MAAC members. It is getting better all the time!
John Sloan
MAAC# 7879
JohnnyS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

Often we have all read the rants about what crap the MAAC mag is from a few unhappy readers, but I have wondered why these people, who can write pages of rants, don't submit articals for the mag.
I like the MAAC mag, but agree there is plenty of room for improvement, but we need to remember it's OUR mag. I am glad to see the amount of good suggestions being shared here and no flaming the MAAC mag. I like the idea that the people who print this mag are asking for what we want to see and what we think needs to go. Now who do we send our tech tip's, build stories and fun fly reports to?

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
Keith Morison
RCC Apprentice

short post to pull this out of the time warp
Keith Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #27
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-16 (was Airtronics SD10G)
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1

Keith, care to comment on the viability of a PDF version? This is something I would go for, but I assume there are a number of good reasons why it hasn't been pursued yet.
Phelan RC Flying Club - Manotick ON
Rideau Valley Modellers - Kemptville ON
Jeti DS-16
Lovin Giant Scale & trying Jets ...
MAAC 17752L, IMAC 5984
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39

Generally, I miss construction articles, but I may be an anomaly these days. I enjoy the UK based mags because most include a construction article and accompanying pull-out plan. I will spend 11 or 12 bucks on a mag wth a plan as I feel I'm getting something I might actually use, as apposed to the 8 dollar mag full of ARF reviews.

If you want to be unique and have a "hook", perhaps offering different indoor RC micro or foamie pull-out plans as there seems to be real growth in this area. The challenge will be to have a resource to keep the plans coming every issue. Probably have to start paying someone or partner with a company that produces similar.

Our experience here is that indoor flying is reaching out to a wider audience outside the organization and the winter "gym" flying where all have easy access, has been the source of our club's growth. Hitting the stands, you obviously have to reach buyers who are not already members and this would seem a natural.

Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #29
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8

I like the pull out plan idea too, but you need someone to design and draw them up.That's the problem, you have to have modelers that send this stuff in. Keith can't do "all" of this. I personally will make an effort to send in pics, and maybe an article or two this year. I know there are allot of modelers out there with ideas to share. But they just need a little push.
Better that Keith has too much info and articles, than too little..
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

I like the idea of an electronic news letter! I would receive a email notice that the new news letter is out and there would be an address that would take me right to it. I could have it in the language that I prefer ( I failed french too). Anyone that preferred a hard copy could have one. Our club saves a lot of money with an electronic news letter.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.