Trex 450 v2 tail problem - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dima

Total Props: 0
Trex 450 v2 tail problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, i can't seem to get my tail working properly since i got a new radio and tail servo. When I am hovering and doing some very light flying, the gyro holds fine, however when i give it a decent amount of throttle, the nose pulls left about 90 degrees almost instantaneously. I tried playing around with the gain however regardless of what i set it, it still does that same thing.

sorry if the description isn't so detailed, i'm still kind of new to this.

trex 450 V2
Spektrum DX7
Futaba GY401
Futaba 9257 for tail servo

if anyone has some advice for me, that would be great!

Last edited by revos5; 09-02-2010 at 12:20 AM.
revos5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18QQ

Total Props: 6
Re: Trex 450 v2 tail problem

Make sure your revo mixing in the transmitter is off or inhibited. I have this same setup and can check in the morning what my settings are.

pittsflyer111b is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Sounds like it's not in heading hold mode. The radio is the place to start looking for problems with settings. Stupid question but is your gyro sensativity plugged in or is is possibly loose in it's place
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Angelo F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Make sure that your tail slider has lots of travel in both directions. This can happen if the tail cant get enough pitch to counteract the torque from the blades. Also make sure that your motor is not bogging down. Reduced rpm on the tail can also have this effect.
Tarot 450 pro FBL, Align 500 FBL, mCPX
28" Electric 3D Profile Foamie, 40" Electric Spad Combat
42" Nitro 3D Profile Spad, OS .32FX
GWS Tiger Moth, GWS Formosa, Zagi 400
fantam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Your gyro is not reacting fast enough to counter the torque that is being generated when you jam the throttle.

Everyone who posted above gave some great advice.

I suggest you approach it methodically to get it sorted out.

You don't tell us what gyro you have so I will give a generic process that is based on the most popular type of gyro, the GY401 and its clones:
EDIT: Sorry, I see you say you have a GY401. That is great. Disregard my comments on clones...Max
  1. Make sure you have no revo mix turned on. This is usually a no-brainer becuase it is always inhibited as a default setting on all radios I have seen. Nobody ever uses it, and setting it up is a pain, so I doubt you have it on. Nevertheless, you should check your radio just in case someone else set if up for you
  2. Check that the ball ink on the servo arm is the correct distance from the center. 12.5mm seems to work best for me.
  3. I am making an assumption based on the fact that I don't know what gyro you have , but you do know that some gyros have a "Headlock" mode and a "Rate" mode, right? I am assuming you know which is which. If not, figure it out and let us know.
  4. Next Check your travel adjustment. It is best to do this in "rate" mode (Non-Heading Hold): First, on the radio, make sure your TA is 100% in both directions, then:
    Move your rudder stick to max and watch the tail pitch slider. Using a screwdriver, Adjust the "LIMIT" settings potentiometer on the gyro so that your slider has maximum throw for both left and right stick deflection. Some pilots prefer a bit of over-travel to get a crisper response from the rudder. That is OK- it is personal preference. What you are looking for here is that you get the MAXIMUM throw or a pinch more (but not less). IF one side bottoms out before the other, go with the one that needs more (a bit of overtravel is OK)
  5. Now you have to set the Gyro sensitivity on the radio. The greater the sensitivity, the less likely it will turn when you jam the throttle. Too much sensitivity will cause tail wag. Too little will case the heli to turn when you jam the throttle, just as you described.

Fly the heli. Depending on how you have your switches set on your particular radio, you need to go to either the travel adjustment screen (if it is set on your GEAR switch) or your GYRO screen (if you enabled the gyro feature)

In both cases, you need to adjust the gyro sensitivity (GAIN) on your computer radio UP until the tail starts to wag, and then dial it down a bit at a time until the wagging stops. That is your maximum head locking setting. If you continue to dial down the gain, the heli will begin to drift just as you described. You need to set this up separately for both heading modes on your gyro (ie, you set up the gain for the gyro in "rate" mode, then again for "Heading Lock" mode)

That should work

Last edited by Max; 09-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

I think Max hit the nail on the head. Most times I've seen this it's because the servo can't get over quick enough to counter the sudden torque. The solution is to move the ball on your tail servo horn a little further out than it currently is, then readjust limits and gain.

It could also be low gain, low headspeed or you're pulling too much collective.

As for overdriving the tail servo, I can't say I agree with max. Binding is always bad. Given you probably won't hit the limits often in flight, but if you do, binding stalls out the tail servo which puts unnecessary wear on it. There's really no reason to overdrive it at all. You won't get any crisper response by binding things up.
uʍop ǝpısdn ʇı op sʎnƃ ılǝɥ
rotormonkey13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.