Cardboard Model Airplanes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Cardboard Model Airplanes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here is an interesting article on a mundane material we all throw out with the garbage weekly! ... it must be understood that this is of course is not your throw away type which embraces your Rice Crispies or there is little point to continuing this.

As I navigated the site I was impressed not only with the beauty of the examples displayed but the fact that there was no big weight gain using this out of the ordinary building medium! ... and of course it requires that one actually builds from scratch and not wait in anxious anticipation for the courier to deliver that big box from whence come forth insta-model....
nigol is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Cardboard Model Airplanes

For us who think the smell of glue is divine, definitely interesting. A lot like the SPAD method.

I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I built a 1/6 scale Hurricane out of cardboard long ago. I read about using cardbard in MAN and thought I would give it a try.

I was surprised at how well it came out using just plain cardboard. The Hurricane lends itself very well to cardboard construction.

Looking at the aircraft list shown on that website, I am wondering if the article that inspired me to build out of cardboard wasn't written by this guy?

Thanks for the link!
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6

Sure, Chuck Felton has been building out of cardboard for decades. I've built a few models using it, all were successful. Mind you, I've built models from card stock (poster board?), again with success. My sister's kids were bored one evening, so I had them build some simple gliders using only card stock and tape we all had a good time flying them off the back porch.

If it has structure, it can be used for building model, until one gets to concrete...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5

I read a magazine from the 1960's, can't remember which one, It had the Bamboozle. It was a control line combat cardboard design, and there was a trainer too. It had a rubber band holding the motor/mount in place in case of a crash. It was more crude than these models in the website. I made a couple in the early 1980's. One I used Triwall cardboard just flat. It was too heavy, I didn't even try to fly it. The other one I made of coroplast. I still have it and fly it once in a while with a Tee Dee .049. Maybe one of the first SPADs. It is similar to the Man Win trainer. I also remember a Cardboard Cutie.(well I remember the name anyway) It is nice to see that most of the planes on the website are control line, my first choice of park flyer. The cardboard looks easier to glue than the SPAD coroplast stuff. Maybe a good choice for RC scale combat.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
For us who think the smell of glue is divine, definitely interesting. A lot like the SPAD method.

Fer sure. After all, coroplast is just plasticized cardboard (in a manner of speaking).
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.