Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Non Profit incorporation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
We had a really heat meeting this evening in regards to the Clubs non profit incorporation. The issue at hand is there is some thought that a member of the club is in contradiction to the clubs non profit status for designing and building some electric planes and then in turn offering these built planes for sale to members. There is some feeling that because we are a non profit club that all members if they sell something to someone else should be doing so for no profit. Any input from the RCCanada community is welcomed.
It is my position that the clubs non profit status has nothing to do with a member and what he does to fund his hobby.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
Re: Non Profit incorporation

IMO the club is non-profit, not the members. As long as they aren't using club facilities (e.g. giving private, paid lessons at the flight line), why would the club care?
Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

Its a load of crap. If you want to buy something I am selling then don't expect me to take a loss because we are a not for profit club.

I purchased of of the planes in question and I don't remember any kind of sales tactic's. These planes sell themselves so everything is low key. I could see it being an issue if the member was actually advertising his product at the field.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Smile Re: Non Profit incorporation

Our club is inc.. One of members owned a Hobby Shop. Also the same designed and manufactured kits
Two seperate issues.
I believe it has no bearing on members.
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Keith Morison
RCC Apprentice

The member's actions are irrelevant to the club's NFP status.

Beyond that... not for profit status is based on what the organisation does with operational surpluses. Profit is defined as as returning dividends to the shareholders.

Look at a typical Fun Fly as an example. The club will host the event and charge landing fees and/or spectator admission fees/parking fees and at the end of the day the club sees a budget surplus. (they bring in more than they spend.) This is OK as long as the surpluses are held in general revenue and there isn't a payout to the members at the end of the year (or event.)

Back to the example: Even if the club produced, marketed and sold a kit and made money on it, it would still be considered a not for profit as long as the revenue were kept in the club's coffers.

The area that MIGHT get sketchy is if test flying and developing the models would be considered recreational flying (and covered by MAAC insurance) or commercial flying.
Keith Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Aaron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 7

If it is the 'Clubs' merchandise in question, then there may be a point..... but if not, then it doesn't really come into play. Either way, a NFPO just means that there is NO PROFIT showing at the end of FYE. Doesn't mean that the club can't make money on selling goods/services to pay for other things. Field maintenance, FF events, Signage, Advertising, etc.

NFP doesn't apply to every transaction made, but to the collective management of the organization.

Everyones 'opinion' will be different, but if a member is selling his/her own goods, be it for gains or losses, it is no business of the club.

Bring what you fly, Fly what you bring!
hardcore is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

Nuker is correct.

That is the premise that we have been working under for years.

You can take it one step further - if the club hosts an event like a fun fly, charges admission and sells food, you can turn a small profit that aids in the running of the club (rent and upkeep) and still be 'Non Profit'.

All of the BIG Charities do it (United Way etc) so why not you?

The key is not to have a BIG Profit and pay salaries to the Executive etc.
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Have to agree with the others. As long as the club itself is not seeing a profit then there is no issue. No one owns the club right? Are the president or other directors getting a cut of the sales? What one member does on his own time and in his own house to make money has nothing to do with the club itself.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
RCC Noob
I am: Not Disclosed

* I am not a lawyer. The following is not legal advice. For legal advice please consult a licensed lawyer in your jurisdiction. *

In my opinion, the actions of the club (a non-profit) are distinct from the actions of the individual (per the Solomon v. Solomon principle of separate corporate identity). Assuming he is not acting on behalf of the incorporated person, or holding himself out to be doing so, he can do whatever he wants as long as he isn't misrepresenting his actions to be that of the club to a 3rd party. It is analogous to someone who works at one of the big distributors joining your club and the club stating that they cannot distribute hobby related products because the club is a not-for-profit. Makes no sense; they are distinct entities.

Last edited by Spitfire_mk5; 09-14-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Spitfire_mk5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

It's kind of funny how long it took to actually get the membership to read and then ratify the constitution and now less than a year later someone has interpreted it in a strange way that no one had ever imagined.

I would have liked to attend this meeting to hear why this was considered a problem.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.