HPI Vorza - locating parts? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David S

Total Props: 0
HPI Vorza - locating parts?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys,

I just brought a HPI Vorza yesterday, and ended up breaking it today.

Seems like parts on this car is pretty scarce...

Is it possible to order from manufacturer direct?

Thanks in advance..
- Trex 700 LE [91HP, Spartan Quark, Mutligov Pro]
- Trex 600 Nitro Pro [OS55, Futaba 611, Multigov] (Sold)
- Trex 450 Pro [G750]
- 2* Trex 250 Pro [G750]
- Walkera 4#3a, 4#3b, 4#3b DB, 5g6, CB100

- Seagulls Extra 300 Gasser
- Great Planes Edge 540
- Parkzone Extra 300
- Parkzone Sukhoi 26XP

- JR 9503
davidz58 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Tim S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20+

Re: HPI Vorza - locating parts?

if you broke a suspension piece, look at the hot bodies d8 machines as they share a whole bunch of parts.
timsted is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice

i own a vorza i race it every weekend for 2 months now, and often drive it until destruction at the track for everyones entertainment.

fortunately i can machine new parts myself so it only costs me some time and a few dollars to R&D the vorza's weakness's.

the rear shock tower will bend and re bend until it breaks from molecular creasing. it will bend at the ball end mounting holes (six all drilled in each side), the number of holes has drasticlly weakened the towers to the point of them being useless.

the rear shocks are terribly poor to begin with, so you'll slap endlessly bending the towers and the center rear driveshaft.

HPI makes a high efficiency and durability drive shaft, it works well, and doesn't bend so easily. i have it, and it appears to be the same as the hotbodies one. (has built on coupling, instead of being loose)

to fix the rear suspension, use longer springs.. i use losi springs for the 8ight truggy/buggy .. i run 6S and have alot of added weight from steel parts i've made to take the punishment so i use the grey springs (very stiff). along with the stock shock oil, they work very very very well for me.

the screws that retain the pins that hold your wheel assembly on the suspension arms don't work either, i found myself searching for my driveshafts a couple times because the pin just bypassed the retaining screw. problem the screw doesn't overlap the pin enough, so under force the pin sneaks by and out, the wheel flops over and the shaft flies out. SOLUTION, put a washer behind the screws so each end of the pins are completely covered.. now the arm will have to break before the pin can come out.

for setup i've found (my local track has several 40-60ft jumps and is over half a kilometer long)that this is what seems to work best.. for me anyways.

-2x3S(6S) 45-90C nanotech 5000mah lipos OR 5S 5000mah
-losi grey 8ight rear springs, with 1/4" preload, stock oil (positive squat on arms)
-losi black 8ight front springs no preload, stock oil (negitive squat on arms)
-homemade rear chassis brace, aluminum with 2 bottom screws to stop chassis flex.
-homemade rear wing risers and arms, aluminum with 3 mount screws each instead of 2
-homemade rear shock tower, steel with only the holes i use, and 3 dimension bracing to never ever ever bend again.. ever
-high efficiency & durability rear center driveshaft(built on coupler)
-washers over each hingepin retainer screw
-homemade rear wing washers, titanium alloy
-18T 'pinion' motor spur gear
-44T drive spur gear
-spektrum D3E radio system
-homemade servo horn, titanium alloy
-losi on/off switch, the stock one blew apart after the first day, it's located in the dumbest possible spot EVER, it's IMPOSSIBLE to turn off too. i had to cut a hole in the cover and use a tny screw driver everytime to get it off... then something happened, i think a rock probably smoked it as it's bottom/fragile side is completely open to debris off the rear wheel... i put my new losi switch on the esc with some adheasive velcro. now the batteries hold it sandwiched tightly in place, and mud free too.
-new front center drive shaft because the stock one bent too (just another stock one)
-repaired the rear wing several times because the plastic was ripping on either side of the mounts (redhot flat screw driver)

things im about to do to it because it badly needs it:
- new front shock towers, with 3D bracing, not this flat bendy cold roll aluminum water cut crap that comes stock..... tired of bending it back to straight after every 10 laps.
- new body, stock body had to be melted beside driver side window to make room for the battery leads. looks stupid and ghetto now. lol
- new tires... i know i want something but i'm not sure if i'm going with AKA's or Prolines... the stock tires are good for bashing(all terrain) but not for a track surface.
- hook it up to a castle link, some of the stock ESC setting need changing, like drag break and launch control for example.

if you're looking for parts, greathobbies.com often has good prices, i don't remember if they charge for out of province taxes or not, but they're in PEI so if they don't you'll save on tax, but pay for shipping.. they're canadian, so they should ship fast(no customs)

Ideal Hobbies in barrie had everything i needed for my vorza that my local shop didn't have on the shelf. they seemed to carry a good selection of HPI stuff(pinion gear and driveshafts) when i was in there, and they seem to have great customer service.

cheers, eh.

Last edited by ptv83; 10-05-2010 at 04:27 AM.
ptv83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Robert L
# of RCs: 15

Originally Posted by davidz58 View Post
Hey guys,

I just brought a HPI Vorza yesterday, and ended up breaking it today.

Seems like parts on this car is pretty scarce...

Is it possible to order from manufacturer direct?

Thanks in advance..
http://www.amainhobbies.com/ would have everything you need. Everything well in stock. Canadian $ just went up to 98.45 cents USD today. So if you still want to buy but haven't ---> act quick. They ship quick and great cust. service. Also check out Great hobbies - great cust. service but if they're out of stock it could take months to get to your door. Compare prices between these two (including shipping and risk of paying duty) for your best judgment. Keep in mind if you do buy more than something like $100 USD from Amain shipping is like $3 bucks USD , of course the Americans always get free shipping when they buy 100 or more. I don't like Great Hobbies because you have to calculate your own shipping rate from canada post but shipping wihtin Canada is not that bad and they should have better rates than what you calculate from Canada Post. Lastly, Great hobbies only charge 5% tax or whatever it is now like Alberta, so you will save 10% since you're in Toronto. If in stock, Shipment from Great Hobbies should be faster and more reliable. Cheers.
carrotcake is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.