What is the best "standard servo" - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: What is the best "standard servo"

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have had more than a 50% failure rate with the hitec servo's that I have used.

Years ago when I was flying pattern, I thought I'd use 422's on throttle servo's, I bought 3 of them, one for my primary plane, one for my backup, and one as a spare. The first one worked fine, the second one was dead out of the box, 3rd one worked for about 12 flights and then started to oscillate.
When I decided to try a shock flier for the first time, I bought all HS81's. I bought 4 of them for the shocky. 1 of them was again dead right out of the box, replaced it, they worked fine outside of very weak gear trains. One good bump and they would strip.

A couple years ago, I was asked to use Hitec servo's in a jet by a distributor. I was supplied the servo's at no charge, I asked for the best servo that was available from Hitec. the 7XXX series were not available at that time, I was given 3 5955's for a Rafale I was putting together. One servo was again, completely dead out of the box, a second one started out sounding like it had gravel in it and then smoothed out only to begin bouncing around with no input from the radio. Both were replaced, but I have never been able to use a Hitec servo without wondering constantly "when will it fail"........

It does bother me to no end that my Firebird has to use a Hitec servo on the stab, but at least it's only a rebadged Multiplex servo and not one of Hitec's own designs.

I have personally witnessed more than a few Hitec digital servo's (this is years back and I'm sure this issue was resolved) that smoked themselves quite literally in flight when transmitter ATV's were set beyond 100%. I think this is the problem that you were discussing Andrew from years back.

Recently, I was asked to check some of the new 7XXX series digitals to see what I thought of them, while they work fine, their centering ability was horrible. On a 1" servo arm, 8 servo's tested, not one of them could come back to center any closer than .003" while the comparable JR AND Futaba's could center within .0005" on a 1" arm.

Please also note, I said nothing bad about Hitec in this thread up until this post, all I stated was that I trusted the JR servo's more than anything that Hitec produces, that is nothing more than my feelings / opinions. I did not air any beef regarding hitec, only said I trusted JR more than them.

I would go out on a limb and say that it's unlikely that ANY of the top Pattern fliers in the world are using Hitec servo's. Almost all of the guys I fly jets with use JR or Futaba servo's.

Bang for the buck isn't even THAT good of an arguement anymore as the difference in cost between Hitec and JR or Futaba is not that great anymore, not like it used to be.

So anyway, there is my personal experience with Hitec and why I will not use them. For me, peace of mind is worth the extra money and anywhere that I need a precise servo, Hitec would be very far down on my list of choices.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave D

Total Props: 1

Everyone I know that uses Hitec servos has no problems and find them an excellent value. I have used them in many applications and never had a problem. I suspect Andrews experiences are what most modelers results are.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

All I use now is Hitec, the others all have lots of slop in the gear train after a few years.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I use the HiTech 425's and agree they are great value, strong and reliable. I've got some S3004's also, same price and also very good, though I'm not as sure about reliability.

I'd like to know what the best value in standard digital servos is...
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

I won't use anything but Hitec for servos. Can't beat the price and they are a step above the rest in my opinion.
rc300xs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.