Pucker factor and shaking thumbs - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7
Re: Pucker factor and shaking thumbs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I don't think there is any real trick to this except fly and burn gas, after the first 1000 flights you will likely calm down a bit. Partly you need to accept that you cannot beat normal physiology and if you feel nervous your heart will race and your hands will shake, just let them shake and as the flight goes on they will likely settle down a bit. Take a few deep breaths and loosen up as best you can then go for it.

As for maiden flights I still get nervous until I see where the plane will go and how much trimming it will take to fly straight and level. Take your time and do a good pre-flight check, make sure the servos all function the right directions and the control surfaces are all as close to neutral as possible. I cannot count the times that someone has asked me to fly their new plane I find the ailerons reversed or the throws are either not enough or too much . A lot of good solid preparation at home saves anxiety at the field.

Main thing is to try and focus that nervous energy on enjoying this hobby. Life is too short .........
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

I've kind of always been able to get around that except on my first flight at an IMAC contest. I always seem to do my best on my first flight at a contest but my heart rate is way up and I end up having the shakes after the flight. After that I'm fine.

Regular flying and goofing around, I can easily carry on a conversation. But then, I can do that while in my back-swing at the golf course. Just a little talent I've got, lol.

Being comfortable with the plane is the key, I think.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Evan R
Radio of choice:
The one that came with the plane :S
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

Ya, nothing but more flying will help.

Fortunately maiden a plane the feeling I do not think will go away. That is a scary point in your flying hobby. As everyone hopes the plane will last more than 1 flight in mint condition. I have been fortunate.

<knock on wood>
Nothing like the smell of castor in the morning!!!!!

Super Sportster 40 MKII
Nexstar Select - Rebuild (covering job, convert to tail dragger)

P-47 Razorback
Harvard (AT-6)
(Undecided on a bipe, pitts? or hog? 60"-80" wingspan)
Gooseman240 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Yup same thing happened to me years ago. I missed one summer of flying which added up to about a year and 8 months without flying. I bought a new plane and took it out for it's maiden. (cessna 95" span w/G26) I took off and my thumbs started shaking so bad that it was becoming hard to control the plane. It was funny in a way because it felt very similar to how my knee bounces up and down while sitting sometimes and the harder I try to stop it the worse it gets, until I relax and then it stops. Well that's exactly how my thumbs felt, I took a long slow deep breath and exhaled all the air out of my lungs and then another couple of these. I also relaxed my arms and let my neck strap hold the transmitter and also relaxed my hands. Instantly my thumbs stopped wobbling all over. It was also funny when I realized that I wasn't even using the neck strap because I was holding the transmitter up at chest height and gripping it like I was opening a fresh jar of jam!
rc300xs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

It has been a while since I felt nervousness as well. Like other experneice fliers say- the more fuel you burn, the btter you are able to handle it.

What did make me laugh when I read the original post was that I remember feeling that way when I was a lot younger. The nervousness, the wobbly knees, the heart-in your throat feeling. HA HA. It kept you on your toes... Keep at it- as the confidence grows, the nervousness fades.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

I think a touch of nerves is good! It means you are paying attention to what is happening and applying yourself. Being too relaxed can potentially result in being a bit blase and not focusing on the task at hand; flying safely.

One thing mentioned above rarely makes me nervous: dead stick landings. I land dead stick as well or better than I do with power. (Go figure) Probably that is because I have had so many of them!
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

..actually my biggest problem is starting the day off with a big coffee from Second Cup. I've flown the odd time without that ritual and definitely have calmer hands!
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Hey Mark , I know what you mean, I fly best alone, I can concentrate at what I am doing give myself goals to work on... As soon as there are spectators or other fliers, I do not get shaky any more about my flying, like I use to, I trust my self now that I am comfortable, but I get distracted, talk and loose concentration. As you get better and more comfortable the jitters will not comback as often, they will be gone completely when you believe that you can fly as well as anyone around you.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Thanks for all the great thoughts guys. I think that Dave's right, a little bit of nervers is a good thing as complacency would be worse. Dean's also right...at least for me too...a large double double on the way to the field in not a good thing!

Dan, I like flying alone too but I'm just as comfortabel flying with regular flying buddy. As soon as a couple of looky loos walk up start talking while I'm flying then the jitters start. The other day, my buddy was flying and a looky walked right up to him and started asking the usual questions...how high who fast etc etc. I jumped right in the rescue my buddy, pulled the looky look aside and told hinm to talk to me, not to buddy, at least till he gets 'er on the ground.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #20
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

Mark: I read your message a few hours ago and thought I had nothing to add. However, for the last half hour I have been flying on my simulator and suddenly I thought of your situation. Do you have a simulator? If not, I strongly urge you to consider purchasing one. When most of us learned to fly there was no such thing. I find it a fantastic tool for gaining confidence before trying a new manoeuvre at the field. I bet if you spent a half hour to an hour on it a day, plus continue flying at your field as often as possible, you will soon solve your problems to your satisfaction. My simulator has really helped me become a more confident and better pilot. Cheers. . .
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.