Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: Spektrum recievers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It seems like they have covered everything except "natural nulls". This is usually a cone shaped area emanating from the ground, many get wider after a rain. When you walk through one with a portable radio with an antenna that is directional you have to turn the radio 90 deg. to get the signal back. I have run into several of these over the years. With the older radios it was like a bump in the road, but 2.4 is a different ball of wax.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I've had brown outs...or more specifically, the plane would go to full throttle uncommanded...not a good thing. Rebinding solved that.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Martin T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

We do have a Sasktel cell tower in town for digital coverage, maybe that could cause interference in certain areas. I'll have to stay away from that area. Thanks for all the information, it's good to know it's not just me losing my mind.

martintucker19 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Florin
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Thumbs down Spektrum AR500

I had an AR500 in my trainer plane, a DX5e for my instructor and DX7 for me - the student. I was flying the plane for 2 weeks (about 10-15 flights) and one day, while doing some circuits, after turning to the right, the plane did not respond to my command to level the wings and instead it just continued to turn and go down.

I immediately told my instructor I have no control and he took over, only to hear him saying he has no control either. I watched the plane going down like 30 feet in circles, then my instructor said he has control again.
Then he was trying to bring the plane for a landing and 5 seconds later he said that he lost the control again. We both watched the plane going down again while he was continously moving the sticks to see if by any chance the plane gets under control and luckily he gained the control again and landed.
We inspected the battery, the switch, the range....everything possible and could not find any issue. For one hour, we investigated and decided in the end that everything is OK.

We took off and when we reached the same area, we lost the control for few seconds again. We landed and changed the receiver with an ar7000 and never had problems again. I sent my receiver to Horizon mentioning to not fix it, to not replace it with another AR500, but to send me an AR6200 or AR7000 and I'll pay the difference, because I lost my confidence in AR500, especially after reading the reviews on their own web site. Check it here. 10 days later, I got from Horizon a brand new AR6200, free of charge.

Another member of the club lost an identical plane with the same receiver AR500 and he mentioned that the plane just went away and crashed in the forest - probably his fail safe was not set propperly
Florin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I have been using DX7 with ar7000 receivers for 2yrs now and not even a glitch.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

AR9000's, AR9100's, AR7000's, AR500's and the JR 1221's for 3 years now, never so much as a glitch with any of them.
If guys are losing stuff in the same area of the field though, I don't know why anyone could blame a specific make of radio. We lost airplanes many times in certain area's on certain frequencies when we flew 72mhz, you learned to stay away from those area's.

I find that 95% of the Spektrum related problems can be traced back to people turning on their airplanes before the transmitter has actually started transmitting. I know on the 12X at least there is a blue light that indicates the transmitter actually transmitting, so turn the tx on, wait 5 or 10 seconds, and then turn on the receiver.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #17
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Thanks Philipa for the link to the Do's and Don'ts:
Very interesting, especially the DONTS!!!

* Ensure your system has adequate voltage
* Use the maximum number of remote receivers
* As a minimum, use the Flight Log for your first flights
* Perform at a minimum, a range test
* Stay relatively close in your first flight
* Spread remote receivers far apart in the plane
* Polarize your antennas
* Use a second battery in your most valuable aircraft
* Consider putting a piece of clear tubing on receiver antennas
* Point your Tx antenna vertical
* Keep remote receiver wiring away from noise sources
* Use quality servos like JR or Spektrum
* Look into the source of flashing receiver lights

* Use any amplified Y-harness
* Use old batteries of unknown condition
* Cut off or change the antennas
* Use electronic reversing Y's
* Don't point your transmitter antenna at the aircraft
Also, the link florin shows in his thread to the Horizon Hobby AR500 reviews reveals that there may be a problem with just this RX

I have been using AR6200's, 6100's, AR7000's and even The orange HK clone with no problems whatsoever, but 3 guys using the 500's had lockouts. Hmmm...

I also learned yesterday that the LHS owner here in the GTA has also had several complaints from AR500 users such that he refuses to sell any more- IE He took them off his shelves, at his loss. (I am guessing he is returning them to Horizon??) This guy is a very avid RC flier, and knows his stuff, and well respected in the RC community. The fact that he wont sell them to fellow modelers proves to me he is more concerned about the well being of the hobby and his customers than to sell the product just to make a buck.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #18
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Don't point you antenna at the plane...? I didn't know that.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.