Transmitter and Receiver crystals - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11
Transmitter and Receiver crystals

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This should probably go in the classified adds, but I thought more people would see this here...

For those of us that haven't completely converted to 2.4 gear, there are some great bargains to be had in older tech transmitters and receivers, but it always seems to be a pain to get the correct crystals, and they are anywhere from 10 - 15 bucks a pop. I recently found some on e-bay, from a company called Performance Devices Inc. I immediately got an e-mail from the owner of the company, to appologize that he was on vacation, and would get them shipped in two days when he got back. He mentioned that his company actually manufactures the crystals, as well as crystals for US Military drones and weapons guidance systems.

If anyone needs crystrals, I would recommend this guy. Currently on e-bay, he is selling crystals for $8.00 Shipped, or buy three get one free. I got 4 for just over $20.00.

He made the following offer to me, but I think this would apply to anyone that wants to buy in bulk.

"I'll give your club a cost of $4.00US per crystal for group buy orders shipped to one address with a minimum of 25 RX singles or JR sets. If you can let your club know that, I'm sure many will take advantage of it!"

I have never met this fellow, but the communications and service I got on a sale of 4 crystals was exceptional, so thought that I would pass this on to the all of us. Even if you don't need 25 crystals, the price is very attractive.

Here is a link to his website:
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Transmitter and Receiver crystals

I agree. 72mhz hardware is a real bargain these days.

I have another option for receivers though. I too have been frustrated with having to buy crystals. Lately I have been buying 72mhz receivers with a built in frequency synthesizers

They are the same price as a regular receiver (20 bucks) and can synthesize any frequency on any channel. They can be used with JR, Futaba, Airtronics and Hitec radios, meaning I can use them with any of my 72mhz radios and I never have to buy another crystal.

They come in 4, 6 and 8 channel versions. I have been using the 6 and channel versions

I have used these on everything from park fliers to 120 size warbirds with no issues.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

Max, I use those also, and feel completely safe with the smaller electrics. My flying buddy and I have been flying these receivers together for a few months now, no problems at all... he is on channel 40, I am on 41. Recently, I started getting hits, jittery servos and eratic throttle as soon as he turned on. It still worked perfectly if I was the only radio turned on at the time. To do some further testing, I took it home, re-locked it to another radio, channel 12, and turned on my channel 41 radio at the same time. As soon as I did that, instant hits on all servos. I re-locked it yet again, to channel 46, and it seems completely clear on this channel. So, I agree with you, they are an awesome deal, and the price is incredibly good, but I have a small pit in my stomach with them when it comes to larger nitro planes, so I want to stay with name brand receivers in those planes... hence the requirement for crystals. I'm sure others have had problems with the name brand stuff, and no problems with the Coronas, and I do plan on buying more of them myself, this may be an isolated issue... but...

So, if anyone wants to stay with name brand RX, and needs crystals, this is a good alternative to paying more at the LHS.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: sport f

Total Props: 1

I have also just discovered Performance devices
I just received an order for some crystals
I was very happy with the service from Pete.
They were shipped the same day as ordered.
They arrived in a bubble pack envelope & passed through Canada cutoms.
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.