Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7
Re: Unknowns

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I really don't think it improves your flying skills and if does can someone tell me how.
OK you made me think about that. Flying unknowns at contests does not improve my skills or make me a better pilot. But now that I have gotten into the habit of taking the unknowns home from every contest and then put them in a binder and use them for focused practice between contests does, in my mind, improve my flying skills. It forces me to fly a different set of maneuvers other than the known sequence and I have learned to fly maneuvers I have never routinely ever flown before. As long as I am learning I think I am improving.
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

I like the unknowns. I don't put any pressure on myself to do them particularly well, as I've just started flying sportsman this season and there are a good number of maneuvers that I haven't even tried before.

The unknowns are there because they're there in the full scale aerobatic contests. I think it would be silly to have scale aerobatics contests that don't represent at least the basics of how the real thing is done.

Like Scot said, I probably only spent half an hour total on my first unknown and I actually didn't fly it that badly except for one maneuver that I just couldn't seem to let of the rudder, lol!

I also enjoy the freestyle portion. That's when you get to let loose a little and have some fun! Again, no pressure at all, just go out and throw down some of your best flashy maneuvers to music! I love flying it and watching Scot fly it. He lied, he's good at it!
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

I really like the unknowns because of the fact that it teaches me to approach the similar maneuvers differently. I enjoy mixing it up a bit and this has led me to learn the skills to work out a free-style program.
Plus the Unknowns is usually best flight of the weekend for me.
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

The problem with never flying unknowns is boredom! if you fly the same routine all summer, sure you'll get good at it but what about learning other skills? Flying unknowns does just that, it makes you try things you never practiced before and it does make you a better pilot because you learn to fly under pressure. We have had a blast this past month just flying unknowns from a catalogue of them I have collected over the years. No practice, no looking, just the caller telling you what to do and if you screw up..just turn around and do it again till you get it right. Believe me you improve in a hurry
My caller (Brendan) is a basic pilot (well Sportsman next year) and he has been calling all the way to Unlimited for me and his own ability to read aresti has grown immensily and I also think has contributed to his own rapid growth in piloting skills.
I hear you Mike about a lack of callers but if you can convince even one of your club members to learn how to call and get them flying IMAC, I can alomost guarrantee they'll be hooked just like Brendan
MAAC 9551L-IMAC 3705
Former SA Chairman
Team Great Hobbies
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: scot h

Total Props: 1

I've shown non IMAC pilots how to call for me during practice - it's amazing how well the offer of a couple of beers works (and there are always those who'd like to see what IMAC is all about). Last year I flew sportsman; I called for Unlimited several times. I don't recall seeing anyone having a hard time finding a caller.
...it's to counteract the torque...
scot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave R

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by scot View Post
I've shown non IMAC pilots how to call for me during practice - it's amazing how well the offer of a couple of beers works (and there are always those who'd like to see what IMAC is all about). Last year I flew sportsman; I called for Unlimited several times. I don't recall seeing anyone having a hard time finding a caller.
huh?? what was that? I'm not sure if I actually heard something from you, you NON IMAC, potentially NON flying dude. Not sure if we should consider your NON IMAC, Non flying opinion valid.

Just in case someone doesn't realize....... that was sarcasm.
Dave_ORCC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Ray B
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ray B

When I first started flying imac, it was not something I was looking forward doing it. Since Sportsman & up, most contests I entered you had to fly the darn thing. So you do what you can. The more I did easier it got.
Ray B is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
RCC Contributor
I am: Isabel D.

Total Props: 4

I try to fly Advanced.

But what is the Value in flying Unknowns for the pilots? Does it improve his flying skill?
Hi Mike,

My point of view is: to be able to fly the known well, you just have to master a sequence. To be able to fly the unknowns well, you have to master a whole level of flying. Preparing adequately for the unknowns brings a lot of richness to the practicing and preparation.

Also from the contest point of view, they are a great test of skill because of the above reason, and also they keep the suspense until the end - anything can happen until the unknowns are flown! But these are minor points compared to the first.

For me the unknowns are definitely the best part of the whole thing. They are challenging. After a lot of practice, the known sequence can become almost automatic - muscle memory like driving a car. Sometimes by the end of the summer it is almost boring - your mind can be wandering while you are flying. However this would never happen during the unknowns... the unknowns continue to test to the limit your mental game, concentration, intuition, control and coordination. So many aspects of the unknowns are more mental than physical (visualisation, memorization, spatial planning), I find it really fascinating to think about and try out new ways of preparing for them.

I try to fly Advanced.
The only value I see in flying Unknowns is being able to listen to your Caller and read Aresti.
As for the caller issue; try to challenge yourself to fly the unknowns without a caller. I would say that in the whole summer maybe I actually listened to the caller only for one or two maneuvers when I had a hesitation, out of ~10 contests. Eventually you should really be able to fly the unknown without your caller. But don't worry if you cannot do it right away, it's really something you can practice. I had no idea what my mind was capable of but it came gradually, with practice (I have to say this is probably a lot easier to do when you start unknowns at the Sportsman level and work yourself up... it would be a big step to try doing this straight into the Advanced level). A few times it has happened to me that I was able to concentrate enough during my preparation that when I flew the unknown, it really felt like I had flown it before many times, but unfortunately I found this difficult to replicate. Steve Dionne did an excellent workshop session about unknown preparation and it really opened my eyes in that respect.

I want to add, too, that I found a lot of parallels between unknowns and other aspects of life, like studying for exams, or preparing for a potentially stressful situation, or anything that benefits visualization, memorization, confidence. I think my previous exam-preparation skills (memorization, discipline, concentration) helped me initially to prepare unknowns, and now in return the brain areas I have used to prepare for unknowns are transferable skills (visualization, pattern finding, and memorization especially).

Anyways some people will say that this is taking things too seriously but for me it has been a lot of fun

Regarding the "taking away the fun" part. In Quebec for many years it was the same thing as what you say, we did not fly unknowns. One reason was that on Saturday nights many of us like to have a nice social dinner, nice wine and nice campfire and the unknowns were seen as a treat to this relaxing thing. So, the compromise solution was to distribute the unknowns on Sunday morning and give about 1/2 hour - 1 hour before the start of the contest to memorize and write them down for a caller. So Saturday night was only social. This cuts down a lot on the depth of preparation, though with practice you will be able to memorize a new unknown in a short amount of time (10 minutes?). But it's an alternative to consider if you want to introduce unknowns gradually into the system.

Isabel Deslauriers
Team Great Hobbies, Team Futaba & Smart-Fly
isabel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Isabel is writing her Master's Thesis on preparation for Scale Aerobatics competition
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #20
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Originally Posted by craigk View Post
Isabel is writing her Master's Thesis on preparation for Scale Aerobatics competition
And what's wrong with daT?
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.