Winter's coming - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

View Poll Results: Are you going to be flying this winter?
Yes...die hard winter flyer. 12 18.18%
Yes...but fair weather winter flyer only. 40 60.61%
Nope...I'm going to pack it in till spring. 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #41
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Winter's coming

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
When I first got my wings I lived in Northern Ontario in the Kirkland Lake area. There are only two seasons in the North, This Winter and Last Winter...

Living in the North, if you don't fly at all in the winter you sure had a very short flying season. I actually loved flying in the cold crisp air. Man, the plane flies so clean and crisp in the dense colder air, like it was on rails. We often flew at -15 F. We used the buddy system. Fly for 3 or 4 minutes and then pass the Transmitter on to your buddy. It sure is hard to fly when you can't feel your fingers. It was great fun though.

Well, now that I am older by a decade or two, I just cannot tolerate the cold like I use to. I still like to get out in winter a couple of times but only if the weather is fair and not too blustery. Yep, fair weather flier now for sure!

I always have a winter project or two that keeps me busy in the shop. I love building as much as flying, so either way, it's a win win situation for me.

This year I have a perfect winter plane and plan on getting out for a quick flight on New Year's Day. But then again, weather permitting.

What a great topic! I always enjoy hearing how others do things and their views. Thanks for starting this interesting thread. We need more of this kind of interaction and discussion.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #42
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
What no flying down south John?
Jim: Do not have room in my car to take both my wife and an airplane. As I need to eat, the wife goes. I visit two clubs in Florida while there and have had some good experiences. I see what the guys are flying and being modellers and flyers the natives are friendly. I also go to "Florida Jets" in March at Lakeland, Florida. About an hours drive from where we stay. This is a good show and if anyone is in the area and wants to see "state of the art" jets flying, this should be a must. $10 to get in and free parking. Have a great winter!
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #43
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Even though winter is coming...Calgary is predicting highs of near 20 this week! Keep flying boys!!
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.