What does your Preflight Checklist include? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: What does your Preflight Checklist include?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
if the wings are on and the engine is running you are good to go.
I hope if you're an instructor, your students are not reading your comment!

AND your statement is not always true my friend. Went to our club funfly one summer and everyone was anxious to get started. We always had this thing where the first one to fly had bragging rights for the day.

One fellow got his plane out of the car and assembled in record time, started the engine, quickly taxied out, turned into the wind and took off. Darn! He had beat me by almost a minute...........But wait!

Being in such a rush to be the first one up, he'd neglected to bolt the wing on and the wing had just sat on top of the fuse. About 30' off the ground the wing lifted off the fuse and the fuse under full power lawn darted itself about 6" into the runway, completely destroying itself. The wing however slowly fluttered to the grass with narry as scratch.

No preflight checks, no range check, no horse sense, no airplane! Haste makes waste and it could have resulted in a lot worse happening than the loss of his airplane.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: corey p

Total Props: 3

There are some great suggestions here, I do a basic preflight before I leave but more often then not Ill for get the one screwdriver, or glow plug wrench.. etc that I need. I think Ill make a checklist to actually go through before I leave the house and at the field.

Had I done a better preflight last weekend, not the usual range check, batteries charged, etc, I wouldn't have spent this weekend fixing the gear that tore off and went through the wing of my extra... It was a smooth landing too, I was alone and even said out loud to myself on approach this is going to be a nice landing. As soon as the wheels touched the ground they tore off, the left strut went though the wing busting a couple ribs. totally unexpected. oh well its fixed now, Live and learn.. checklists are your friend.
prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

It was mentioned but I think it bears mentioning again...don't just wiggle the control surfaces to check them...make sure they're going the right way! I've seen 2 crashed from a reversed elevator...not pretty.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

I log my flights, so after so many flights, I do a thorough inspection. Very impressed with what I have read so far. My biggest problem has been being in too big a rush to get in the air. My goal this year was to simply check all control surfaces for proper deflection before my first take off of the day. I was in a rush for some reason on Sunday, did not check and took off with only one aileron working. Of course this quickly got my attention. I was lucky this time and made it down safely but another lesson learned. It is very important to have a set routine and do not rush or get distracted from it.
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.