DX7 2.4 Ghz. The good the bad? - Page 8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #71
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15
Re: DX7 2.4 Ghz. The good the bad?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Most newcomers are completely illiterate to what we had to deal with on 72Mhz.
I would be one of those.

I've had hundreds of issue free flights on my DX6i, and my new DX8 has been solid so far (barely 2 months old mind you). I've never seen or experienced so much as a single glitch. Possibly I'm fortunate, but I also do my best to follow Spektrum's installation guidelines and ensure I have adequate RX power capacity. That mean's UBEC's on my larger planes and carefully test the amp draw of any new power/servo system.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #72
RCC Apprentice
I am: Kevin T
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

fsone if you are unhappy with someone speaking their mind about your precious DX7 get over it. The DX7 is not the be all to end all in radios. So grow up understand everyone has an opinion and yours being the DX7 is the only radio to get does not help anyone out when deciding on a radio. Does the topic not state "DX7 2.4 The good the bad". So I am, more than allowed to post my findings from over 6 years of use and maybe if it happens to someone else I can let them know what Horizon found wrong with it and stop it from happening to someone else. Do you think the updates to RX and TX they have in place came from no one posting or asking the same questions about the product?.
Nitrosnifer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #73
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Let's keep it friendly ...

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #74
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Some of the posts here were reported to us as getting too personal, trolling and even flaming in nature, so I thought I would just chime in for a minute!

Personal opinions are a great and valuable asset in any debate, and there are a lot of "good and bad" info about the DX7 here. I am sure that there can be good and bad found in any radio brand. You know.... the old Ford vs Chevrolet thing.

As long as the opinions and info is still valuable, and there are no personal attacks or threats made, I don't see anything wrong this so far.

Every one has their own opinions which is good.

Carry on all and just keep it clean!

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #75
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

I just find if funny that I've stated over and over again about the fact I have not had any problems in 6 years with my DX7. But then question issues with three instances of total communication loss and I'm unhappy with the DX7??? I'm unhappy with losing three planes!!!. Now if the radio is only good for a handful of years before you need to send it in for service, or Horizon has a new update to your DX7 which stops anyone from totaling a plane in the same manor would we all not want to know before it happens to you???. Not to mention that fact if Horizon covers the repair of the DX7 and I post that, would it not make you also feel better about how Horizon stands behind their product. It's just a radio for pete's sake.

Last edited by Max; 12-22-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Foul language remedied
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #76
RCC Apprentice
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

I received an e-mail and phone call from Horizon repair depot the other day and after a call to the gentleman working on my DX-7 I am more than pleased with his explanation of what he found what I need to check and what he's going to do to my radio. He was a wealth of info and understanding of my worries.He stated the issue is more than likely in the firmware of my receivers as no problem was found with my DX-7. So Horizon replaced the rudder switch (was a little bent???) the main board and antenna just to be sure and make me feel more confident in this radio. All this for the low low price of No money down, No payments and No interest for 0 days. Yes that's right all done free of charge and a thank you for my business. They may have some small issues with their products but have no problem resolving the issue and keeping happy customers.
Thanks again Horizon
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #77
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

I just read this entire post. I am now more convinced that the more complicated things get the better the chance there is of something going wrong.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #78
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Ignorance is bliss.

My brother and best friend, who are not on RCC and fly in fields and farms, are not aware of any issues with their DX7's. They haven't been on the forums and they haven't read any articles about pros and cons. They are just , for lack of a better term, "ignorant" about any radio concerns. They have been flying happily for a year and a half with no issues.

Myself, I also have a DX7 and also have no complaints and no issues. Personally, I was in the process of researching for a new radio for another new flier I am introducing to the hobby. I am swayed by the advantages of Futaba's Frequency hopping system, but so far, all the Futaba radios in the price range comparable to the DX7 have a programming screen that is less user friendly than the DX7. I sure wish Futaba would get on the bandwagon and offer a better GUI for programming their computer radios. In the end the new student ended up with a DX7. Not because one was better than the other, but because it is what the rest of us were using. No complaints from him thus far.

To re-iterate what Curt mentioned above- the brand loyalty debate over radios is just the same as the MAC/PC arguments. It all boils down to personal preference. That being said, it is always good to hear of peoples personal experiences, both good and bad, so that we may all benefit and learn from other peoples experiences.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #79
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

The one thing to remember from this particular debate that there is no bullet proof 2.4 ghz system from any vendor.Any items that are made with electronics can or will have some issues.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #80
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Derrick R

So far I have been happy with my new DX7. I haven't had much real stick time with it only the odd test hover in the backyard but have setup 4 different models on it and I really like the ease of use and the familiar screens when comparing to JR's XP8103. So two thumbs up for programming simplicity!!
I hope to put a bunch of flights in over the xmas break using the DX7. It does seem wierd not having to pull out the ant. before flying.
MAAC #41076
Derrick is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.