Toronto RC Hobby Show??? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
RCC Noob
I am: Joe
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Re: Toronto RC Hobby Show???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ya woulda been nice but atleast i know for next time. I dont know how this company is still in business very rude if you ask a question and don't know something they treat you like an stupid and don't want anything to do with you. When you own a business your number one thing is customers. And the best way to learn or know something is to ask. I got a very ba vib from every singal one of them. I was looking at motor kits and this guy working there say can you move i gota put this car back up on shelf so i move an he puts car up an put ladder right where i was looking so i cant look at the stuff by this time i had enuf i just left.
J&m is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Originally Posted by rcmobile View Post
...hi, newb here, kicking life into an old thread...found this posting while searching for the Toronto International Hobby Show, and coming up with a whole lot of nothing...their website as I knew it seems to be down, is there a new site, or a new owner of the show, or has it faded away?
...I see quite a stink being raised about BBWCT trying to put up one of their own, and am unaware of whether or not they were successful, question is, is there any show at all nowadays?
correct me if I am wrong

Ted Curl 'acquired' the show from an east end Toronto flying club, Ajax or Oshawa or Whitby. This is hearsay on my part, not personal experience.

He moved it to the International Centre, near YYZ, that's when I was attending as a member of Metro Marine Modellers it went downhill over the years until I couldn't be bothered any more, Ted Curl was lording over it on a Segway scooter.

I attended again a couple of years ago at the MAAC booth, it was a very craft oriented show. Go with the money.

Recently, three? four? years ago the rights to the name were sold and it seem s the company that bought them intended to run a show but failed miserably. Last year the website was over a year out of date. Now I cannot find it.

I used to do this

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
RCC Contributor
I am: Chuck B

Total Props: 5

It was worth the trip to see the indoor boat pond and talk to the people operating them. the last time I went they had a small flying area, which I watched for an hour or so. I cannot remember what year that was maybe 2007. I enjoyed that show

the year after I was sick but my parents and grand parents went and said after going there they were sick, it was completely different.

I remember when I was younger this would probably be in the 80's the show was hudge a room full of model train set ups as well as an indoor dirt rc track, I cannot recall if the indoor boat pond was there or not, but it was a great show back then.

thinking about it makes me want to crack out the HO train stuff.
cman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darth
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Moo, the original Spring version of Ted Curl's hobby show came from the Burlington Show which was a joint effort between the Burlington club and the other west-end clubs such as Oakville and Mississauga, and was held in a Burlington arena and managed by ex-MAAC president, Frank Anderson. The reason that Frank wound up selling the show to Ted was that he spent up to three months' effort from his own business in setting up the show and getting the vendors (including manufacturers from the US).

I know because for the last four years of the Burlington-based event, I was manning various booths as well as helping with set-up and night-time security (ice still under the cement floors makes for cold nights even with a good sleeping bag.) Then the "Burlington team" helped out with the first "Hobby Show" events to give Ted a serious leg-up on the final workings of the show.

I guess that only Ted could give a good explanation for the history of the show and its demise. Certainly the move from a RC-only event to an all-singing/all-dancing fully inclusive event plus the costs associated with the International Center were the primary reasons for the gradual decline and final demise of the show with the new owners.
strikemaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.