Glow engines, any good for novice? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 12X / Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: +20

Total Props: 5
Re: Glow engines, any good for novice?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is doesn't get much easier than glow as your aware with the buggies... a few extra glow plugs and a gallon of fuel and your off to the races. Myself I prefer glow over electric for the bigger airplanes, those batteries get expensive and as was mentioned before you need a few unless you want to wait between flights.

As Jeremy has stated (LGM) I too have flown many flights on both 2 and 4 strokes and can count the dead sticks on one hand that have occured over 20 years.... man I sound kinda old ......

Go for the nitro, there cheap to buy 2nd hand. Everyone has there engine preference but for 2 strokes I like the older OS engines, FSR / SF line. For 4 strokes I believe in the Saitos, I've owned quite a few from .30 - 3.00 and they have all performed without issue.
RV-8'ting and loving it!!
**Trout Farm Flyers**
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Cory VS
Radio of choice:
Giving the 11x a try
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

I'd give anyone starting out in this hobby this advice, go electric.

1-it's easier, say what you want about diagnosing glow engine problems etc. Electronics are just more reliable, yes they have problems too but I've flown glow for years, running good engines, and I've never had fewer problems than I have since I started flying electric.

2-Like it or not it's the future of the hobby. More, better, and cheaper electric products are available every day, and it's not about to stop.

3-There is no longer a difference in pit times for glow or electric. I've got 4 cell packs that balance charge from 20% to full in about 17 minutes. Get two chargers, three packs and a small generator and you can fly all day non-stop as fast as you can swap packs. Maybe faster than the guy next to you can refuel

4-In some senses it's cheaper.... Once you have batteries they can be used in as may planes as you like. The last time I outfitted a new electric .40 size plane it cost me $75, can't buy a new glow engine for that.

Last edited by Wheels_78; 11-08-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Wheels_78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: rob z

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix View Post
My dad was here for a visit a few summers ago. We went out to the field with my kids Super Cub electric. That was the only plane we took unfortunately.
Freshly charged battery, put it in, throw the plane, less than 30 feet from me the motor stopped and down came the plane.....
hmmmm, guess I didn't charge that battery, no problem, I have another one that's just about done charging. So we put that one in, and the prop bounces back and forth.....
I was at a loss, I had no components I could switch out so there we sat going, hmmm, battery? Motor? Speed controller? We had no idea. With a glow engine, there are 3 things that it needs, air, fuel, and spark, I can easily keep a spare glow plug for little cost, fuel and air, well, you can check those things. They are in fact easier to troubleshoot without replacing entire components.
You were having trouble finding the trouble with your e system because you do not have the right tools. You do not need to change out components to find a problem just use the right tool. For example you didn't need to try the second battery if you had simply put a watt meter on the plane and fires it up. You would have seen that both batteries were dead and that means charger. Your first comment tells it all "guess I didn't charge that battery" you were guessing, not measuring and getting useful information.
I see loads of guys flying glow/gas and loads flying electric, and both seem to be having just as much fun so I am NOT saying one is better than the other. I am saying that if you are going to trouble shoot you need to get the info first. With Glow, swapping is the best way. Bad fuel, try a tank of new stuff. Bad plug, install a new one. This is not the best way for electric though. Get the tools and the trouble will be obvious right away.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.