buying off ebay - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: darrell l

Total Props: 0
buying off ebay

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i am thinking of buying a engine dle 50cc off ebay has anyone got one this way.
dmac is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

Re: buying off ebay

My handful of "non-RC-related" E-bay experiences have been god so far, I would also consider purchase from hobbyking.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice

I bought a DLE 111,55, and 20 off of there from China, they all were well priced, shipped fast, and the engines run flawless.
jfckelly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

I'm a little gun shy of eBay... not to say there aren't good deals there. But it's become a dumping ground for a lot of junk. Buyer beware.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

A lot of stores and dealers sell on ebay. Many of the sellers bid on their own items. It is best to set the maximum price you want to pay for an item and set that as your maximum bid and stick to it, even if the bid goes over by fifty cents. Items with a lot of bidders will not go cheap. Many of the sellers that advertise a high shipping cost will not negotiate it. Be aware of sellers that put a lot of conditions on their sale. Some of the ebay stores insist that you go through their checkout and reveal a lot of personal data. I received a couple of items the other day one by first class mail and one by priority post ( three times the cost), both arrived the same day from the USA. Shipping from Europe and the far east is quit reasonable and quick.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

Used to be interesting to shop on eBay but like previous post, not much anymore. It went from an auction site to a place were small shops are trying to get rid of worthless crap by overexposing the same crap over and over again with a low price and then get you in a corner with excessive shipping and handling fees. I gave up...

You're probably better with Hobbyking to get your engine.

Disclaimer: Having said that, this is just my personal opinion, I might be wrong, please don't quote me, have a nice day.
Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

A few other pointers if you are new to Fleabay:

I was caught the first time I used it with multiple buys from an HK store. They charged me shipping for EACH item, even though they were boxed together.

If the seller has done business before you can check their feedback. This may be a bit of false advertizing as I find some will threaten you with negative feedback if you try and post that for them. This can affect future dealings if you plan to sell that way.

Potentially the most disturbing experience I had was with a dispute over 2 faulty speed controls in a row. The instant I started it I was locked out of my Paypal account, even though I was the customer with a complaint. It was resolved quickly, but even then I had to personally contact Paypal to get access again.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
RCC Apprentice
I am: Greg B

I saw an OS 120 4 stroke engine for sale on eBay a couple weeks ago, it was new apparently but the price seemed too low for a new engine as compared to what I have seen them in hobby shops and so on. Something didn't seem quite right about it so I never bid on it.
Swifty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Harold D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15+

Thumbs up Re: buying off ebay

I got a DLE55 from HobbyCity $269 plus shipping, amazing price, works great, and fast shipping....
Happy wife, happy life
sugarpops is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick Konkle

Got a few good deals a couple of yrs back, they were ship promptly and wre exactily what was advertised. Then I had a large pay pal dispute, cancelled my account and don't deal with them any longer. Buy the way FYI Pay Pal owns E Bay or the other way around.

HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.