General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
RCC Noob
I am: Joel
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: buying off ebay

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Being new to the hobby, I purchased all my items off Ebay. Even my transmitter. If your not an experience Ebayer, just find someone that is.

There are definitely deals. Especially when the CAD $ is close to US$

The biggest issue you will have is international shipping is expensive. I live only 1hr away from the Border, so I have all my purchases sent to a business that accepts shipments on my behalf. I then drive over and get it.

I good tip is,, don't always accept the picture you see in the classified, before you pay,, ask the seller to send you a recent picture with his name signed on a piece of paper next to the item. This will give you more confidence that the item is really in their possession. This hold only for private auctioned items.

Other than that .. just do your research... and get more experience using the Ebay site.. read over the person selling history etc..

If you want to purchase and your not sure get someone else for an opinion.
I'd be happy to give you my opinion or assistance..

2 - mSR Heli
1 - 120SR Heli
1 - Champ Plane
Ingenuity is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
RCC Noob
I am: darrell l

Total Props: 0

thanks everyone for all your comments. now i will have to make up my mind what to do.

dmac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Max Standen
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 6

i ordered a dle 30 from rcskylite on ebay. its awsome
flyboysnow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Make sure your Paypal is hooked to your credit card. Some people have Paypal hooked to their bank account and with that route you are only left with Paypal if something is wrong.
I've heard of a few scammers who tell the buyer they will take care of it, or they will return their money, or the item is in the mail, they are in fact only stalling so that after 30 days from purchase you can't file a dispute. So don't wait. I bought an OS 70SII for $195 on ebay brand new and it has been my best engine. Make sure they have good feedback and be more careful with sellers with low transaction numbers.
VISA is great if there is a problem. They reverse the charge and give your money back and go after the bad seller. I had to use them for a set of rims for a Yamaha R1 off ebay. Paypal was not interested in helping me because I had received the goods. Used but straight said the seller, the rear wheel was bent(crash damage), VISA got my money back and never asked for the rims back. After 6 months I took the rim to a wheel company who fixed the rear wheel for $65. $400 set of rims for $65.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I bought a number of things off eBay over the years, never had a problem. As mentioned - refer to the seller's rating. If they have lots of sales (100's) and a 100% (or at least 99.7%) rating, you should be OK. Also - note that shipping by UPS is the worst! They charge huge "brokerage" fees. Try to get UPSP or Fed/Ex.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 12X / Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: +20

Total Props: 5

Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
A lot of stores and dealers sell on ebay. Many of the sellers bid on their own items. It is best to set the maximum price you want to pay for an item and set that as your maximum bid and stick to it, even if the bid goes over by fifty cents.

Myself I never put my maximum bid at as my first bid, I would rather wait till the end and enter it in the the last 20 seconds. Many bidders just hedge the price up until its leading and never increase it. Sometimes you can get a great deal doing the bid max amount, but you stand a better chance waiting till the end otherwise the bidders continue to bid until they are leading the auction.... you just need an iphone and the Ebay App to remind you 10 minutes before the end....
RV-8'ting and loving it!!
**Trout Farm Flyers**
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Ten minutes before close will allow ten or fifteen members using the automatic bidding system to out bid you. If your bid is below my max bid the system will bid for me seconds before close. I have watched this happen.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 12X / Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: +20

Total Props: 5

That true... but if you bid your max bid days before then thats time for the other bidders (or seller) to hedge your price up. By waiting till the last 20 seconds and then bidding your max bid you stand a better chance of getting the item cheaper then your bid as there is not enough time for the other bidders to top you as the bid updates with about 4 seconds left in the auction. Most bidders on Ebay do not enter max bids, they just hedge until there in the lead.

If your last minute max bid comes up short then you lose the item, but that just means someone was willing to pay more than you. I've gotten lots of awesome deals bidding this way, I've also lost some but as I said if your bid was the max bid and you lose there is nothing to fret over.

If your goal is to just buy the item then using the max bid up front is fine, if you want the item but want to get it for the cheapest amount then you need to wait....
RV-8'ting and loving it!!
**Trout Farm Flyers**
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Above all else, remember that the motto is "Buyer Beware!" The good news is that eBay has heard most of the compliants about the sellers and has really leaned to supporting those with valid complaints AND (really big emphasis) who follow the eBay procedures for complaints.

Slso, remember that items coming across the border can be subject to havign the HST or equivalent charged, even for hobby items that will not have the excise duties applies, plus whatever processing fees for the cross-border handler. Stay away from UPS (Brown) like the plague since thier rates are totally out of whack -- However, if you have a couple hours that you can spend handling the paperwork and taxes/duties yourself, go for it, even if UPS is the handler -- they cannot stop you from ding it yourself.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.