Gas glow engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Question Gas glow engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A Friend phoned tonight and asked if I had the formula for a mix of petrol and glow fuel to be run in a glow engine
Of course I said I no nothing .
Has Any one heard of doing this before.
If so He wants the formula and the pros and cons of using this mix.
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10
Re: Gas glow engine

Try this thread on RC Universe for everything you ever wanted to know on this subject
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Hi, Second time around - loved the slip back into "petrol" - I have only managed to remember to use the word 'gas' recently after about 35 years! Still say 'petrol' when speaking to my wife!! Petrol, paraffin, biscuits, scones and so on!!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Luke Planemaker
RCC Contributor
I am: Tony R

Total Props: 0

Unless the rod is modified with needle bearings on both ends, it is important to maintain the recommended oil content.

Methanol also cools better than "petrol" so the temps go up with increased gas %age used. Cooling could be a problem with the small fins on a nitro engine, depending on gas %age.

At least 1/3 should be methanol, to not have problems keeping the plug lit, especially when idling, without onboard glow. Using a 4stroke plug ( O.S.-F or similar) works best also.

I personally have only run 2stroke gas engines on gas glow, using a glow plug adapter. If doing a nitro engine of large enough size, I would adapt a 2 needle walbro carb, as it has a pump, and better fuel metering.
Adding needle bearings to the rod, would allow lower oil content in the mix. You don't want muffler pressure on a fuel tank with gas in the mix, so the fuel pump in the Walbro is nice.

In the end, IMHO, it is easier to convert any weedeater or chainsaw type, 2stroke gas engine, to run on a gas glow mix. They usually come with a 2 needle Walbro installed, and the oil can be run at 3% (rod has needle bearings) with no problems (or mess).
They are light enough with a bit of trimming, flywheel and coil removed, and easy to get at yardsales etc.
Mods to increase power are easy to do, if you're the tinkering type also.
With a simple onboard glow battery, they will run on regular gas/oil saw mix, (better cooling fins) with any glowplug.
The only thing needed to start experimenting is a plug adapter and prop adapter.

If your friend needs more info on a gas conversion, I'll try to be of help.
There is a lot of info at RCU, on both types, in the conversion section as stated above, but a lot of reading and "sifting" is required.

PS: Let us know how any experiments turn out!
Fly or fly not! There is no try.
Luke Planemaker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.