Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re: Gas or Electric?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My personal choice would be electric, especially in a .40 size. It's very affordable to run a plane that size as an electric and they've nice and clean.

Another nice thing is that electrics aren't fussy. As long as your motor, battery and ESC are well matched for their purpose you aren't going to have issues, unlike some glow engines that can be very finicky to tune.

I've never run a glow plane. I went from electrics right to gasoline and still use both. I've had glow cars and wasn't really fussy on the messiness and clean-up required with glow fuel.

There are pros and cons to both, really. If you go glow, the Saito won't do you wrong I'm sure. We have many in our local club and they always seem to run well and the 4-stroke sound is pretty cool too.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1

One of the major things that I really enjoy with Electric powered scale models is that the motor is totally enclosed and not messsed up with an engine sticking out of the cowl. There are a couple of Pawnee 40's in our club and the Electric takes it hands down for appearance. I know that sound and smell goes a long way in a Glow engine powered model, but cleanup for an Electric model is almost non existant. My wife has never been happy with a smelly Glow model in the car or in the basement. If you miss the sound there are sound systems that replicate the sound of the full size Pawnee.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul J

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by Rod View Post
.... a smelly Glow model in the car or in the basement. .
give me a break!! smelly?? try a gasoline or diesel engine, then you'll know what smelly is, lol.
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
give me a break!! smelly?? try a gasoline or diesel engine, then you'll know what smelly is, lol.
Lol, you got that right

My glo powered go to model spends much of its life in the trunk of my car, if it were to stink as badly as has been suggested here you can believe my wifes nose would have instantly tracked it down and banished it.

On the gas or Electric question....yes, I have an electric plane and a heli and have nothing against that side of our hobby....Gol-darn, Ive tried and tried enjoying my electrics but I just cannot get used to flying without those fat sounds and doppler effect of my big fourstroker making a low pass....Theres absolutely nothing electric Ive ever heard that even comes close.......IMHO
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 12

yeah wives can be replaced but not the smell and sound of gas or glow in the morning LOL .just kidding,I am fortunate my wife supports my intrests,I would say go with what you are most passionate about after all it's about what is most fun for you.both will fly. of all the pros & cons for me passion trumps them all .I could care less if my hobby is practical.I have my minivan for practical and easy of use but my 69 firebird is mutch more fun.Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

I fly electric aswell as a lot of Saito's. Your spacific airframe would give you a lot of pleasure with the 82.
But the pawne sure would make a great winter flyer on ski's. Which I would lean towards electric. All summer you will enjoy the sound, smell, and reliability of the 4 strock option
Hell fly the first ARF with the 82. Replace it with an electric. It's a week-end assembly. Hope you wear one out!
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Originally Posted by martintucker19 View Post
I agree with Jeremy, I have a few electrics, a falcon jr, a caps 232, a yak 54, but I fly these in the back yard to satisfy the itch. When I get to the field and start the glow its a hole knew game. I love the smell of the glow fuel and the sound of the engine. Once up in the air I've got to make at least one real close fly by just to smell that fuel.

I agree... I do have 4 electrics that I use for winter flying and for that quick itch scratch in the back 40, but all my others are glow powered... I just love the sound and smell of a glow fuel powered engine on a summer morning!

Either way, it doesn't matter, they both have their pros and cons.... just get out flying and enjoy!

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link

Last edited by chuebner; 11-21-2010 at 07:11 AM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

If noise is an issue, go with electric.

Price wise, on a 2 year operation comparison, if you shop around, an electric setup + batteries will be the same as a nitro setup and fuel.

The majority of my planes are nitro but I am slowly (but not willfully) migrating to electrics. It's just happening.... (And I'm not complaining...)
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19

As said based on your situation it sounds like electric would be the smarter route. Besides it's all going E anyhow these days, planes and helis it's the way to go!
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Since you mentioned that noise is not a factor. Then I would go with the Saito. However.. the prices being comparible, is far from the truth. You can get an electric setup with 2 batteries for about $150 were as the nitro motor will run you $225 to start, and then $30 a jug of fuel, again and again and again.

The pro of a nitro is... You can fly it in the winter without any concerns. With Lipo's, you must keep them warm at all times. But, with Lipo's, you just plug it in and go.

I fly both, but if I were in your situation, Id go with the Nitro simply becouse they sound better
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.