S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gerry S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
glueing coroplast

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This winter I thought I would try building a SPAD. They look like a blast and I have an abundance of parts since my two planes met untimely ends. I am having trouble getting the coroplast to glue though. I flashed it like the videos say (even practiced it like they suggested) when I tried to glue a few peices for practice they would not stick-at all (just a drop of CA every half inch or so) I know the CA is good because it sticks the balsa of the Space Walker kit I'm working on like crazy. What am I doing wrong?

Flight Happens
gerald49 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4
Re: glueing coroplast

In my experience CA does not work on coro. I use "Automotive Goop" from Canadian Tire or similar. It takes a while to dry but sticks well & does not need any "flashing."

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3

I've also had bad luck using CA on coro. To get it to work, i've clamped the pieces together for the evening.
My favorite to use is contact cement. I have some stuff from a spray can for doing countertops that works very well. But the LePage stufff in a can works as well. Also, goop, gorilla glue, heck even poking some holes in the coro and using zip ties holds it together!!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

I used CA before after a bit of prep. There seems to be a mold or extrusion release layer that needs to be removed before the CA will bond. As a final prep I wipe with methanol.

A couple of pointers that may be of importance. First is that CA need airborne moisture to set properly. Same with moisture contained within wood or porous plastics. With low moisture content in closed and heated homes in the winter this tends to slow it down. Obviously a non porous material like Coro will not contribute much and the surface prep described earlier likely removed any minor amount that could have been there.

Second point I found is that Coro does not fare well in colder temps. It becomes extremely brittle and is pretty much destroyed in a minor impact. Hinges also become very stiff and likely to crack.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

I've built at least half a dozen coro combat planes. Sand the coro joints and use medium CA to hold it together. You will also likely need to use a kicker to get the CA to set and bond to the coro. Then use a Polyurethane glue like " Gorilla " or " Elmers Ultimate " to do the final bonding. The coro needs to be sanded before you try to glue it. We also use a woodpecker to put small holes in the coro if we are bonding large flat surfaces. To join 2 flat pieces I coat one with the glue and then lightly spray the other with water. Put them together and tack with CA, Then use a weight to hold them together till the glue sets. Poyurethane is an excellent glue for foam as well. It expands as it cures so you need to hold pieces together until the glue has set.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Total Props: 1

Go to the website in my signature. In the downloads section you'll find a document where I compiled 4-5 pages of ways to glue coro from the original spadder forum. It's a few years old but is still valid.

BTW, my personal way is to rub it with a cloth (till my arms are sore) with alcohol, flash it, woodpecker the coro, sand it, ca it, pull it apart, sand it then use gorilla or polyurethane glue. Clamp it every time with short length of 2x4 and C-clamps.

Keep in mind, some colours glue better than others.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gerry S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the advice, I am going to use a combo of flash, sand, woodpecker, gorilla glue and clamp. Overkill maybe but this is all an experiment anyway lol.

Flight Happens
gerald49 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1

I have built many SPADs, lots of different sizes. I have used CA (but no longer do so), contact cement (works well, especially like the water-based stuff), polyurethane glue (Elmers Ultimate, overall the best adhesion for my needs), and even hot melt (least satisfactory, but ok for a quick fixup).

I do not "flash" the coro. I clean it with acetone on a cloth or paper towel, that's all. In some cases, where I am very critical, such as the joining of wing trailing edge and ailerons, after initial cleaning with acetone, I rub the contact area with a Scotchbrite pad, or steel wool, or very fine sandpaper (or my chin, if I haven't shaved that day). Then I again rub it down with acetone on a rag or paper towel. Of course, the acetone is what you use to get rid of those annoying political slogans and mugshots which always seem to be on the "free" coroplast that litters the countryside right around election day. Gotta love democracy!
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Alan H
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 3

I find that the different colors of coro I am using sometimes require different glues/techniques to achieve a good bond so I usually do a bond & pull test first to determine which to use. I have been using Medium CA, Goop (Household & Marine), Gorilla or Elmer's Polyurethane and I flash, lightly sand or scotchbrite, and find that using rubbing alcohol works well to rub it down with.

Most times I find I am using CA for Coro to Coro, Goop and Poly for LE dowels and spars. For CA - I use fresh CA (keep in fridge!) and mist one surface lightly with water.

With the Poly glue using the "woodpecker" technique (again lightly mist one suface with water) on coro works well. I also use this glue for beefing up the area where control horns are to be mounted, squeeze in some glue, or push some in with a skewer, a little mist of water, then I tape over the edges and it expands to stiffen these areas up without adding much weight, you can squeeze this into the screw holes and tape over them when the horn is mid-span as well. I also us it with Bamboo skewers to stiffen up control sufaces.

I clamp for all these glues using a 4 foot level, clamping every 8 to 10 inches as I know the edge of my level is true and flat. 30 minutes for CA, 2 hours for Goop or Poly are the minimum times I use and have had good results.
Scrappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I've been using contact cement for a wile now, like the other posts, I have tried CA, Goop, Spray Adhesive, and found contact cement is the cheapest and easy to use. First I sand with 80 or 100 grit sandpaper, then I use thinner to clean the coro and contact cement together.
It must work ok, last combat this season I had 4 mid airs in the SAME FLIGHT with 4 other planes....yep took 'em all out of the sky and kept on flying! and they say I fly "aggressive"...whatever that means??

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!

Last edited by canadianf1pilot; 11-29-2010 at 10:36 PM.
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.