"Winterizing" engine questions. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 12-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Re: "Winterizing" engine questions.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
... store the plane in a vertical position....
All good info so far; vertical := nose down so the oil will naturally flow over the front bearing/bushing.

A dehumidifier is also a good idea, especially if the temperature varies in whatever storage are you plan to use.

I also like to block the carb and muffler to keep dust and crap out.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul J

Total Props: 0

I'll add my 2 cents...

My favourite product by far is Corrosion-X. Its a mil-spec product used in the aviation and marine industry. It runs about $20 per 16oz can but will last a long,long time. You can use it on anything, including radios (di-electric) and electric motors. As an example, we had an old fan at work that took about 10 or 12 minutes to slowly come up to speed once it was switched on. A shot of Corrosion-X had that fan instantly start up and it still (several years later) is running like a new fan. Another example, I have an old radio (listening type) that had horribly dirty pots, to the point of being unuseable. A bit of Corrosion-X and that old radio is still performing like new.

I think it was RCM magazine that had an article on engine bearings treated with this product, surviving a hot salt air bath for days, totally unscathed. Bearings treated with other oils didn't fair so well.

Incidentally, Corrosion-X is the American product. The original product was developed by Lear Chemical in Missisauga and is called Corrosion Block and the aviation name for Corrosion Block is ACF-50.

Anyway, SUPER stuff and worth every penny.
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

I like Corrosion Block and use it when I store my planes for the winter. Never thought of using it on bearings. Thanks for the tip. I coat my servo lead plugs with it (including extension plugs) and then wrap them in Aluminium foil for winter storage. (DO NOT wrap battery plugs in aluminium foil - just give the ends a shot of Corrosion Block and leave them bare) The few minutes it takes is, in my opinion well worth the time and peace of mind. Cheers p.s. I also put a drop or two into the ports of my receivers before storing them for the winter. . . Corrosion Block is available at LHS
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

hello Valhalla your right corrosion x is a fantastic product i use it on all my electrical contacts on my planes.It has many many uses.I have seen servos submersed in salt water came out still working.I recommend this product to anyone in r/c.All those gold pinned connections keeps them from oxyidizing you will find in humid conditions especially in hot summer months.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.