Any Easy Way to Decipher Batteries and Chargers? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Any Easy Way to Decipher Batteries and Chargers?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
You're on track when it comes to battery capacity. All other things being equal, (cell count and C rating) a larger battery will be able to supply the same draw for a longer amount of time.

Keeping size the same, increasing the C rating simply means your max current output could be higher, (although it will drain the battery faster this way).

The other thing is you will only draw the max of the lowest component in the system and you realistically have to look at the battery, ESC and motor as a closed system. For example, if the motor requires 40A under max load and the battery can only supply 30, then that 30A is all you will run. If you run a 30A ESC and the battery can supply the required 40A, then it may work, but for a very short time.

A couple of other pointers. There are a lot more complete, ready to fly machines out there that come with everything you need to get airborne. The problem is most of those are giving you the bare minimum when it comes to motors, batteries and/or ESC. In some cases you would need to immediately upgrade to fly with any authority.

As for Kv ratings: those are not a power indication, but the RPM of the motor for every volt you supply, (no load). For example, that 900Kv with a 3 cell Lipo could theoretically spin to around 10,000 RPM. Just about right for a 9-10" prop. For helis we run anywhere from 2500, (Hackers in my 2 450's) to 35-3800KV. With the mentioned 3 cell those could run as high as 40,000 + RPM wide open.

Along with your battery and ESC, your Kv and motor power, (Watts) need to be fit to your needs. That's why the suggestion from Flytwice is good since you can tell us what aircraft you're looking at and instead of you using a local club you say is not available anyway, someone here with experience with that aircraft or an equivalent can give you some pointers.

My own advice would be for the first buy to be a slow, high-wing trainer with ailerons, elevator and rudder, (the full 4-channels). I would also stress looking into a good flight sim, such as Realflight or Phoenix. Wish we had them when I started 25+ years ago. Even with help from the local club, it would have taught me a lot before I showed up. In your case it is a very good tool since you use the same kind of transmitter format to teach you what the controls do to the craft and how it looks in the air. Eventually you will advance to the point of not even thinking about making an input, your mind and hands trained to work together. Like any other skill, it takes practice. Flight sims allow you to make the same mistakes we did, just not bring the pieces home in a bag.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mark C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

Thanks again for the help. The planes I was thinking of were
(low-wing Cessna)
(looks like a Cessna 182)

but the HobbyKing plane has some mixed reviews; issue I might not want to deal with as a beginner. The SuperCub that groundcrew mentioned looks good also. Probably smarter to go that route to start; I'll save the cheaper ARFs and kits for later.

And the Phoenix sim is on the way!
HBZ Super Cub, PZ T-28 Micro Trojan, Blade 120 SR
Alien Aircraft Dragon Seaplane - in build
HK-450 Pro GT - in build
Seagull Models Decathlon .40 ARF
MarkCrowe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Mark...I think that I would avoid the Hobbyking stuff as a first plane. I have not flown one but the couple that I have seen are of questionable quality with cheap electrics. As your just starting off, you should have at least fairly decent equipment in the air that you know will be reliable.

Personally, I would recommend the Easystar that's upgraded with a brushless motor. I know it's only a 3 channel plane but with the rudder on your right thumb I think it's a great trainer. Plus, with the brushless upgrade it's a blast to fly and I don't think that you'll get bored of it for a long time. The kit is cheap, easy to build and virtually indesctructable...when you do break it, it's easy to fix. Match this with a 3 cell 1800-2200 battery and a 35A esc, you're good to go and you'll get great flight times. The plane with this motor will be a real screamer with plenty of power but still a real gently floater that's easy to land...and, it'll handle the winds that you get up there.

If you're ever in the Calgary / Canmore area and need a hand or want to go flying...drop me a line.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

Hi Mark: This is where a lot of prople get fooled, the hype they write about their products!
The Hobby King plane as described,has barely enough power to fly it. Their claim of 480 watts is ridiculous. A 2836-900 will make 200-250 watts on 3S IF your lucky! A low winged plane is NOT for the new flyer, no matter what they write!
The Nitroplanes is almost as bad as far as hype goes. 20 minutes on an 1800 mah battery is almost impossible for a plane this size. More like 5 minutes. My planes of that size and weight fly 8-10 minutes on a 2200/ 2800 mah battery.
Cougar 429 has made good suggestions, and I highly recommend the Eflite Apprentice, they would both serve your needs.
A new flyer at our field learned very quickly on the Apprentice, it flies very well out of the box. I'm sure the plane Cougar suggested does too.
The best bang for the buck in batteries is from HobbyKing, their Flightmax line is very reasonably priced and they've stood up very well. Most of the members of our club use them, with excellent results. My 2cents flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.