General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I can't be the only one...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just stepped on some toes over in the EDF forum... decided to join in a discussion, didn't realize it was open only to those who are pro-electric.

Now, my question... I have friends in this hobby who, several years ago now when Lipo technology and the outrunner motors were making a lot of progress, ditched ALL of their glow & gas engines and went 100% electric. Some of these guys were attracted to electrics for various reasons, but the main one seemed to be the reliability, and ease of taking a model out of their vehicle, plugging in a battery and not having to mess with fuel, engine set ups, etc.

Myself, I have never been attracted to electrics just for the reasons some of my friends have been. I do have two EDF's, an out door electric fun fly plane, and several indoor electrics as well as two electric helicopters. I enjoy flying them, but I still love to run engines, and the ease of electrics, as well as the fact that you can power via electric and have BETTER power, less weight, still doesnt "do" it for me, if you can understand where I am coming from.

So, without getting into any debate about electrics being superior (I never disputed the benefits of electric, thats not my point... if you read what I write you will see that it is for personal reasons dealing with my love for IC engines) why do you choose electrics?

Or conversely, why do you choose (like myself) to continue to run gas, glow or other IC engines?

I said I find electrics "soul-less". The best way I can describe this is I look at a fire breathing IC engine as almost living. I have not been able to get as interested in electric motors, and that is a big thing for me. SImilarly to those who run old engines from the 1930's and 1940's - when model engines were in their infancy, they have a certain charm & character that cannot be found elsewhere. Does that make sense?

I am curious to see what other's opinion are.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

Total Props: 0
Re: I can't be the only one...

I love electrics and don't find them to be soul-less at all, but, take a look at the video in this link and I think we all understand what you are talking about.

rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Actually Andrew, you posted in a thread about EDF, not only referring to EDF as soul less but as a vacuum cleaner on steroids, and how you preferred turbines.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

In a scene from Batman, the Joker (played by Jack) says "never rub another man's rhubarb". Good advice.
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wilf coggins
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7c Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Hi Andrew,I agree with you in most part I am not for or against electrics in fact I have both.I have spent a lot of dough this year on electrics ,buying all sizes to find out ,what other modelers are asking,I have a limited knowlege,I do love ic engines I started with diesels does that date me.If an electric motor ,or an ESC packs up theres not much you can do,usually bin it.When was the last time you scrapped an IC engine,you lovingly took it apart replaced parts rebuilt ,and went flying again with it .Thats part of our hobby ,the throw away aspect of electrics is not kosher.Are you a hobbyist guys,well thats my tupence worth.
uk.expat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

I am somewhat in the same boat. I kind of like glow because of the smell, the mess and the authenticity that an IC engine brings to a model airplane.

Having said that I have electric airplanes but mostly they are ducted fan as turbines are not in my budget for RC. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I am going to build a full size airplane and I'm actualy planning to.

Electrics are working fine but, I think that other than the jets, I will not get anymore electric airplanes. I love my glow engines.

Disclaimer: Having said that, this is just my personal opinion, I might be wrong, please don't quote me, have a nice day.
Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Travis F.
Radio of choice:
32ch FrSky Taranis Plus
# of RCs: 15+

I started this hobby a few years back with electrics, just as lipos were hitting the scene. I still keep them around but only in the park flier & 3D planes.

Electrics are nice, but they are what they are. I remember after owning 6-8 park fliers (.32 size and under) and then flying my first glow plane saying to myself "WOW! The power, vertical, more realistic momentum, sound, ability to fly all day long non-stop, etc.

There are + and -'s to both, but I do like them for being clean, quick and easy. When you start needing multiple packs and such, they start getting expensive on the 25%+ airframes, and all the battery charging really gets annoying (though that's slowing changing with 5c charge rate lipos now coming out). Soon you find yourself spending literally 2 evenings a week, simply charging/swapping out packs on the charger. That gets old VERY fast. I'd say that's my biggest complaint.

Gasoline for me, always puts a smile on my face, EVERY time I fly. I don't get that feeling with glow or electric. I dunno if it's the cost savings, the realism, the sound, the cleanliness (compared to glow), or just the fact of like most of us, loving engines for what they are, but that's just me.

Electrics are a great option, but I think in no way will they take over completely anytime soon. Glow is starting to go on it's way out, but gasoline is gaining huge momentum every day. I think all 3 will co-exist for many years to come.
Eganwp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13

Soulless is a good way to describe it Andrew.My feeling excatomundo.

Sure the electrics are here to stay and sure i own a bunch but if had about ten acres to play on,all my stuff would be glow or gas.

I love glow and always will..Its just not as convenient anymore,at least not where i live.To many freakin people around here

I love everything about glow,the tuning,the sound,the smell and that wonderful smoke trail.Geez i'm suddenly feeling like i gotta fire up my old OS40 in the basement.

I think i enjoy running the motors as much as i like flying them.I would love to get my hands on a turbine one day just so that i can run it up on a motor stand lol

Last edited by xv-townboy; 12-03-2010 at 02:53 PM.
xv-townboy is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

LOL, I don't fly planes but I do fly helis and have a lot of car/trucks. I used to have quite a few nitro trucks but am down to 2 now. I've converted 3 of my buggies/truggies to electric because I'm the opposite. I also only have 1 nitro heli but over 20 electrics.

I grew up playing with electronics, used to take them apart and put them back together. Took an electronics course in high school instead of auto mech. almost became an electrical engineer instead of civil.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

I think any model that makes that awefull electric squeel'in noise is just somehow not right.
Put it on the toy shelf.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.