I can't be the only one... - Page 11 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #101
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: I can't be the only one...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

But, I also firmly believe that in 20 years from now - we will still be having this discussion, with some guys like myself running engines and continuing to admire them for what they are.

And I will be there as well!
I actually 'tried" the electric thing, but found it just was not for me. After being in this hobby for more years than I can remember, there's nothing that compares to the sound and smell of nitro, kero, and gasoline burning. And not to forget about the fond memories of all of this.
I don't think there has been a time when I went flying or I was working on my choppers or something, that my mind didn't slip back for a brief moment to a time in my past in this hobby. I specifically remember flying the BD5-J standing there thinking "Gee, I remember when I was freezing my hands off as a kid trying to get an .049 started on my free flight plane..... and now I'm flying this"
It's reminiscing like that, that can bring a smile on your face when you stop and think about it. For some reason I can't see myself saying "Gee, I remember plugging the ESC into that motor and hooking up those batteries when I was a kid" LOL, It's just not the same. LOL
Pretty sure that even if that electric technology was there when I was a kid, I still would have preferred glow. Can I say 100%? Not really but I'm pretty sure I would have known what I liked back then considering how I am now.

Everyone has their preference and there's nothing wrong with that. Why do I drink Heineken, when I can get twice as much "Lucky" or "Carling" for the same price? Simple, I prefer the taste of my Heiny's!

Maybe if someone could make an electric helicopter sound and smell like my gassers, I will give it a try
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #102
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Total Props: 1
Re: I can't be the only one...

P.S- Soul less wast he perfect word
Howzitgoin' eh?
Myzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #103
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg P

Total Props: 2
Re: I can't be the only one...

Time is why I fly all electrics now. With 3 kids in the house, a wife to keep happy, and a full time job, I don't want to waste my precious time at the field. Flying days (like the wife would ever let me have a whole day!) are few and far between, and I don't want to waste a single minute tuning, breaking-in, or trying to start an engine.

I fly all electrics, up to 30cc sized airplanes. I would like to try getting into gas again, but my first experience wasn't very good. I wasted all of last summer trying to get a gasser to run right. Ran fine for a few gallons on the test stand, but after it was in the plane it would not run right. Spent many days at the field where I was unable to get it to run. Something about the air pressure in the cowling would make it run crappy in flight. Unfortunately the reeds broke at some point too, complicating things further. I ended up chasing the timing and all kinds of things with the carb. Of course I can't test a gasser in my neighbourhood, so I wasted flying time at the field all summer.

With my electrics I can test in my basement, and do all of the prep work (charging batteries, testing propss, etc) a few days before I plan on flying. When I get to the field I'm flying within 5 minutes, and I can fly the whole time. I don't even have to go to the field. I have flown every one of my planes, even the "big" ones, in the farmers field a block from my house. Now every spare 30 minutes that I have is a chance to get 2 or 3 flights in. I actually sort of like the sound of gassers and IC engines, but the majority of my neighbours sure don't! I miss flying for more than 6 minutes at a time though! Of course, it doesn't take that long to swap batteries and get back into the air.

Lastly, I fly mostly 3D. It's not fun bringing a plane down low when you don't trust the power source. Until I can tune a gas engine to the point that I can trust it 100%, and get great throttle response, then I'll have to stick with electric.

edit: It's nice plugging in a battery inside my nice warm vehicle, and taking it out in the snow ready to fly too. Playing with fuel and plugs in below zero weather doesn't interest me any more.
g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #104
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: al h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Thumbs up Re: I can't be the only one...

I hate the smell of gas-oil mix when it gets on your hands, and the stuff you have to carry out to the flying site so that you can get the motor started. BUT, withthat said, I enjoy 1/4 scale when they are airbourn,and the speed and sound of the small "10" size model with a "40"n it.
Everyone that I know who flies with nitro or gas engines are in the same though zone.. Like Andrew said, "with that said'", I too have a few electrics, but they are in gliders, which to me makes sence. The part that I don't like about electric is the lack of knoledge and the amount that you have to experiment with propellars and motor size before you get it right, and then the extra batteries that are needed if you want more than one flite a day...
I guess if you keep at it for a while and forgo building time to study electronics. Yo may get to enjoy it more and cost less,(electric flying that is)
.I keep on getting the old thing about the cost of model fuel and gas, but like what was said before, the I.C. motors are usually only bought once, and they will outlast the first, second, and a lot of times 3rd plane that they haul into the wild blue younder.

Time to ghet out of here before I repeat myself.... Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Newyear. and enjoy the building season..... Al
plowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.