I can't be the only one... - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
Re: I can't be the only one...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by flysrcs View Post
I love everything about glow,the tuning,the sound,the smell and that wonderful smoke trail.Geez i'm suddenly feeling like i gotta fire up my old OS40 in the basement.

Reminds me of when i was much younger and not as mart. i fired up some jet-x in my parents basement. They were not home and when they did I told them I just burnt something in the oven(smoke every where).. My Mother bought it but my dad looked at me and knew what it was. Nothing more than a smile was on his face. I never did that again.

Hope your not calling me stupid...Mart guy *o)
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19

My signature will be true within a few years, it's half way there to full truth allready
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery: http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/28268/
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wilf coggins
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7c Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

reading the last thread,reminded me of my step up from rubber band power to a jet-x50 powered Venom,those were the days,swapped the jet-x50 for a pet rabbit,hoped to breed,and buy a jet-x 200

Should have gone on Dragons Den...

Last edited by uk.expat; 12-03-2010 at 06:34 PM.
uk.expat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5

Originally Posted by xv-townboy View Post
Hope your not calling me stupid...Mart guy *o)
Absolutly not.... But i was that day..
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #25
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

NOTHING.... NOTHING... replaces the sound and smell of a kero-burnin' turbine.

Ya, I'm havin' a ball with my Habu and would never consider trying to shove one of those P20 size turbines into it. I like the looks of the new HABU 32 but much bigger than that and it just doesn't make sense to me to go electric. And I don't just mean financial sense, although, I have seen eletrics that when I saw the investment, the only reasonable explanation was that the owner had "something to prove".

NOTHING.... NOTHING... replaces the sound and smell of a kero-burnin' turbine.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #26
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

I think the people who are saying they don't like electric planes and don't understand why people do are being a bit nostalgic. This is such a varied hobby that knocking one side of it and promoting your side as the one true RC experience is pretty narrow minded.

How many people here who want the noise and smell of a turbine would tell the guy that took a DS glider up to 445 mph that its just not the same without the smell of burning kerosene?

After this winter I won't have any more nitro planes and I wont miss it at all. I like electrons and watts more than I like nitro and hp.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #27
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

This past summer was my first venture into electrics. Personally I found it quite a learning curve. Take just about any airplane and I'd know instantly what glow engine was needed to fly it, but electric.....yikes! But I did stick with it and learned a considerable lot!

I find as I get older, it's harder to contend with the larger planes and engines. Just flipping a prop on a 50cc gasser causes severe muscle strain on my sholders that stays with me a day or two. I had a 70" span Funtana 125 that I assembled and installed an electric power system in it. Go to the field, put in a 6S 5000mAH Lipo, flip a switch and I'm off for a 12 minute trouble free flight. Now that is definitely much easier. For that ease, I like the electrics.

Currently I am building two 1/4 Scale planes, a BUSA J3 Cub and a BUSA Neiuport 17. Electric? NO WAY! It just wouldn't do a detailed scale plane justice in my books. The Cub has a beautiful OS 1.60 Flat Twin 4 stroke engine and the Neiuport has a CRRC Gf26 Pro gasser up front. Dispite the difficulties as explained earlier, it will be worth every ache to hear the engines on these planes fire up and take to the blue!

I in all honesty cannot say that I like one mode of power more than the other. Each has it's own place in my particular life and I love it all! I have 3 electric helis, 2 electric smaller foam jet type planes and now an RC Rock Crawler 1/10 scale truck which is electric, which I can play with in the house whereas glow/gas would definitely be taboo!

Now all that being said, and being totally impartial on the fuel vs electric debate I say this. " There is absolutely nothing like the sweet sound of a multi-cylender 4 stroke glow engine fireing up and purring like a kitten to make the senses drool! "...
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #28
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

I tell ya Andrew, if my motorcycle was electric (), I doubt I'd be riding it very much. You can't exactly throw a pair of big pipes on a whirring electric motor and make it sound bad to the bone.

I did enjoy my electric park flyer and found it very easy and convenient to take for a quick fly, but since going larger I just got addicted to the sound, smell, exhaust, and yes even the fuss of glow engines. There's also that vapour trail, very cool.

I've looked into larger electrics but the cost of the batts, esc, motors etc. was just prohibitive for a switch. If I had started out with a 40-60 size electric then I may have stuck with it, but not now.

It's like being into vintage automobiles...no power steering, terrible suspension, heavy like a tank, but OMG - the character!!!
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #29
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0

I think that old people like smoke and the smells of IC engines. It's an emotional thing that reminds them of their past season of coming of age.

I think young people are obsessed with "clean" and electric lets them fool themselves into thinking that their motive activity is green.

TREX 600 - 450
mSR - mCPX
Habu - Stik
Jr 12X
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #30
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Put a motor in the plane and fly it, but please don't tell me that a cowl with a glow plug sticking out is more scale than an electric. It just isn't, never will be.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.