Decoding HobbyKing Heli Descriptions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mark C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Decoding HobbyKing Heli Descriptions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
OK, I've been looking over different heli kits at HK, and trying to decide on what's best for a first build/first 'real' heli... torn between the 450 and 500, and trying to figure out what all the different versions mean...

For the 450s, there's the MT, GT, GT Pro 3D, TT and a 450 version 2 (with 4mm feathering shaft?)

For the 500s, there's the CMT (TT-Torque tube?), the T-500 3D EP 500, 2 500GT (one with torque-tube-TT), and a JR-Voyager clone...

How much difference is there between them? How many parts are likely to need upgrading-I seem to be reading different opinions on the quality of some parts, and people upgrading with Align replacements.

I know the 450 has a lower price and a lot of good videos from Finless Bob; that may be the better way to go, but the 500 seems a good deal also; except I've also been looking at and they seem to have some nice scale fuses (for when I get better- I'm not a fan of the common canopies that seem to all look the same no matter who makes them) and their Chaos helis- anyone have any experience with them? The prices seem very reasonable, starting at about $160 US for the 450 kits, and 600s for about $250...

This is all so confusing...
HBZ Super Cub, PZ T-28 Micro Trojan, Blade 120 SR
Alien Aircraft Dragon Seaplane - in build
HK-450 Pro GT - in build
Seagull Models Decathlon .40 ARF
MarkCrowe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Decoding HobbyKing Heli Descriptions

If you look at the different versions you see that some are plastic frame, carbon fiber, metal head or plastic head... etc. The 4mm feathering shafts are what Align upgraded to for the pro and sport, the smaller feathering shaft is from the older SE versions. I'd suggest staying away from torque tubes and going with a belt for your first one, a belt is a lot more forgiving than a tube.

Keep in mind battery costs as well, the ones used for the 450 are cheaper.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Here's an excellent video describing the differences between the 450MT ($46.79) and the 450GT ($46.99). Both are Align 450V2 compatible (4mm feathering shaft) and are belt drive.
lanman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Joe
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

I recently picked up the HK500GTTT and the kit went together without issue with any of the parts. For $80 a great deal, biggest differences between the GT and the CMT. The GT has a metal frame, the CMT CF, GT has plastic washout arms and flybar control arms, CMT all metal head, GT has metal tail servo mount arms, CMT has CF, GT has plastic stabilzer set, CMT CF. GT has plastic tail grips, CMT has metal. That's about it, I've already changed out the tail grips for metal at $11 for safety.

For the extra $19 I would go with the CMT. I have yet to fly my GT but the build was good, main gears good, TT tail is good and the complete drive line spins smooth as silk. If there were problems with the HK500 kits it certainly looks like they have worked them all out, at least with this GT500TTT build.

IMO both versions great deals for $80 & $99

ohhh the bank account will never be the same HK500GTTT and CX500SEv2 in build

Last edited by ShadowMonster; 12-15-2010 at 06:57 PM.
ShadowMonster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

I've had both and yes starting out a belt is better because then when the tail rotor contacts the ground no gears will strip (or shouldn't) and the belt should take the impact almost like a spring unless it's too tight. I have had both sizes and the 500gt went together well for me where the 450 was tougher because everything is smaller and hard to grab and easy to lose when you drop things. Most HK helis are better built now however the 600 is still a going concern. As far as flying goes the 500 is by far easier, to fly it also takes the wind much better and will give a much steadier hover. I would recommend the 500 first then when you get better try the 450 because then you will have some skills in place to fly those. For me the 500 is the best way to go, I would stay away from the JR version though.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.