RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9
Fiberglassing for Dummies

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I posted this in My Corsair build thread but thought it may interest others as well. In this day of ARF`s and quick builds some of the Black Arts of fiberglassing may be lost. If you want a great painted finish on your aircraft this is how I do it.

I finished fiberglassing today I thought I would a quick overview on how I did it.

Materials to do my Corsair: 7 yds of 1/2 or 3/4 oz Fiberglass cloth, 12 oz Z-Poxy (I used it all) Sandpaper, Mixing cups, Credit card squeegee

Surface prep: I sand to 220 grit paper and make sure there are no imperfections. If you don`t get the imperfections now you will certainly see them later but worse.

Glue Coat: I lay the cloth on the area that I`m going to do and pour epoxy into the center which anchors the cloth. As you squeegee the epoxy out go easy as you will get runs in the cloth. Don`t worry if you do as the epoxy will fill it up in latter coats. Try and squeegee as much epoxy out so that you don`t have any shiny spots. If you have a shiny spot that is a indication that you have to much epoxy in that area and need to squeegee it out. Don`t be concerned about overlapping the fiberglass cloth as this will sand out and blend really well.

Fill Coat: Once the epoxy cures at least 24 hrs sand with 120 to 180 grit paper. Sand just enough to knock down the fibres but don`t sand into the fiberglass cloth itself. this should only take a couple passes with the sandpaper. If you have any areas where the fiberglass has bubble, put some CA on the cloth and rub it down with your finger. Put a plastic bag on your finger before you do it. Spread the epoxy once again trying to squeege as much as you can. If you get any shiny spots squeegee out or I dab it with a paper towel which soaks up the epoxy. Let cure 24 hrs

Finish coat: This is the most critical part. I sand with 120 grit sandpaper all the drips runs or gross imperfections. This is also the time where I fill any voids in the cloth. I usually use microballons and epoxy for that. I sand to 220 grit using wet sandpaper and water . This gives me a finer finish and the sandpaper doesn't`t clog. Spread your epoxy again with the squeegee trying to get a fine as coat as possible. You might use 2 tablespoons of epoxy for 1 side of the wing. Don`t try soak up the shiny epoxy as it will all be shiny. You should have a nice wet look. Once this cures hit it with sandpaper again and you are ready for primer. Once you get the primer on you will see how well of a job you did. I started priming my Corsair tonight and I have lots of work to do yet.

Note: I have never used the toilet paper method of soaking up excess epoxy as I always felt it was to messy and if squeegee the epoxy out properly it wasn`t necessary.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #2

Total Props: 1
Re: Fiberglassing for Dummies

Thanks for this.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5
Re: Fiberglassing for Dummies

Mike: With what little fibre glassing I have done, I have used polyester resin rather than epoxy. If you have used both, which do you recommend? Cheers - p.s. I have not fibre glassed for quite a while and when I did, it was to just certain parts of a plane
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.