Motor for e-Flite Extra 300 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jon M

Total Props: 0
Motor for e-Flite Extra 300

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Picked up one of the new eflite Extra 300 ARFs... plane recommends an eflite Power 32 motor for 3D. I have an AXI Gold 2820/10 on my bench, so Im wondering if this will be a good match for 3D on this airframe and save me buying a new motor.

Specs seem like it should be OK... Thoughts?
JonM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: Motor for e-Flite Extra 300

Your motor is 1200 kv 2 or 3s 42A max, the Power 32 is 770 kv 3 or 4 s with 42A constant and 60A max. Two very different motors IMHO.

Questions you need to ask yourself:

Do I favor flight time over performance?
Will I run on 3s or 4s?
Do you favor efficiency over raw power?

I do believe this plane should be flown on 4s, with a 700 kv ish motor (the 32 would work, but a lower kv may be better as you could run a bigger prop which is better for 3D.

4.6 lbs x 200 W/ lb = 920 Watts peak. / 4s (15V) = 61A (flight average around 30 A)

So roughly speaking ... 30A average @ 6 min flight time = 3 Ah.
Discharging to only 80%, gives you about a 3.8Ah 4s lipo.

As an example, a Scorpion S2 3026-710 (710 kv), there is no charted values for the 14x7 prop because it is beyond the motor's design capability, and this is a lower kv motor than the recommended Power 32! So you see, you need to consider the recommended power setups with a grain of salt. Most manufacturers will try and sell you what they have available, not necessarily what is best for a given model.

Scorpion publish data charts which make it much easier to select a motor/prop. You will get some variations with each motor that comes off the production line and also due to interference from the fuselage but these numbers are usually pretty close:

You can also try Scorpion Calc:

Anything with 150 W/lb or more will keep it fun. Ideally, try to keep the efficiency at 75% or more.

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!

Last edited by marcham; 12-19-2010 at 02:20 AM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

I have that plane & fly it on a Scorpion motor that is equivalent of an e-flite Power 32e. If you look at the attached chart, it looks like your motor is the equivalent of one between a Power 15e and Power 25e. I think that would be very underpowered for the Extra 300 32e, especially for 3D flying.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motor Comparison _ Extra300.pdf (10.4 KB, 66 views)
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Jon M

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the feedback guys and for the links - Going to start looking at some alternate motors

Cheers.. Jon
JonM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.