Best electric outrunner? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
RCC Noob
I am: Luc L

Total Props: 0
Re: Best electric outrunner?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks for all the good info guys. I am just starting out and there are so many choices of motors. I am the type that does not mind paying for a good product, but hate spending money on duds!!! The motor is for an LT-40 electric conversion. I think I will go Scorpion or E-flite, as Great hobbies in Ottawa is probably my closet hobby shop.

Thanks again
Luc2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

I have used Scorpions in the 15e to 32e range for the past couple of years. They perform very well & handle the abuse I heap on them. One fact that's perhaps not widely known is that the N.A. distributor in California (Innov8tiv Designs) has a 50% cost crash replacement warranty. I have had several motors replaced that way. They also sell replacement bearings & shafts so you can overhaul them & keep them going if they suffer minor damage.

On the other hand e-flite are also incredible for their customer service (in my experience & that of my flying friends). I have only dealt with Rx/Tx issues but one friend slammed a Power 32e into the ground hard enough to break the shaft & bend the front completely out of alignment. He sent it back asking if they could fix it & they sent him a brand new one as a warranty replacement even though he did not send proof of purchase date or any other documentation!

Finally, we've also had good success with the HK motors but if one quits or is damaged it's not worth the trouble/$'s to get fixed as it usually cost 25% of Scorpion or e-flite equivalent.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
RCC Noob
I am: Luc L

I have decided on e-Flite Power 46, 670 Kv or SAcorpion SII 3032-690Kv to power My 6.5 Lbs electrified LT-40. I dowloaded motocalc to help me find which ESC, Battery and prop to use but I am having a hard time with the program. I would like to be able to purchase my system through Great Hobbies in Ottawa.

Luc2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Charles

Total Props: 4
Smile Re: Best electric outrunner?

Hi there is a CC 45Amp HV speed control here on RCC under Electric Gear at a pretty good price of $50.00 & they are great quality controlers. I think it would work in your application, can't see you drawing any more than 40 Amps with a trainer anyway.
Charles L
MAAC #19504
"Take Off Eh!"
Redbaron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39

I use Turnigy motors and have had good luck with them.

Use this site to calculate motor loading.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-16 (was Airtronics SD10G)
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1

Assuming a 4 cell pack and shaft power around 600W, here is a couple of short lists for you. One is for 12000 rpm at full throttle & the other for 10000 rpm. For 8000 rpm on 4 cells the options are almost nil in that power range.
You'll see that all of the 'usual suspects' mentioned in posts above come up in the selections.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 600w 12krpm outrunners.pdf (10.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf 600w 10krpm outrunners.pdf (12.1 KB, 61 views)
Phelan RC Flying Club - Manotick ON
Rideau Valley Modellers - Kemptville ON
Jeti DS-16
Lovin Giant Scale & trying Jets ...
MAAC 17752L, IMAC 5984
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #17
RCC Noob
I am: nikole95.7
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: nik

Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
Of course, it also is based on what you're planning to put the outrunner in, what you're willing to pay, what you're willing to put up with (problems, customer support).

It's like which is better: a Vespa or a Ford or an Audi or a Maserati?

Hobby King's selection (Turnigy) appears to be a good starting point in the bargain-basement department but you get what you pay for -- cheap prices are usually indicative of corenrs being cut, either in construciton or customer support.

The high-end motors have qulaity, solid customer support or lots of user experience (see forums), but you pay a premium for the name on the label.
I haven't used them myself, but all of them are well made and respected brands.

My favorite of the 'lesser' brands are the Infinite motors from OKHobby. Well made motors that are a notch below the big 3 above, at a fraction of the price.
nikole95.7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #18
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3

Hi Luc2: I have several Scorpion motors now. Excellent quality, they all make the power they claim and more.
Go to the site and download the latest Scorpion Calculator for free. It will tell you everything you need to know about any motor they make!!
I too have used their 50% crash warranty, I sent a Diamante headfirst into the ground, from 80 feet up, full throttle. Contacted Lucien Miller, owner of Innov8tive, told him I screwed up. I sent in the motor, was unrepairable, he sent me a new one for 1/2 price.
One of my Scorpion's has 450 flights, no issues, other have less flights, but never any hot motors ( and I've pushed them hard). My Kyosho Kelly Reno Racer runs a 4020-12 with a 12/12 Apc E prop for 124.6mph at 77 amps. Motor returns to the ground just barely warm!
I recommend Hobby Cities Turnigy Plush or the newer K-force ESC's to anyone who will listen. Priced right, I've never had one fail, from 12a to 100amp. FWIW flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
I am: Philip A

Total Props: 15

Originally Posted by flytwice View Post
I recommend Hobby Cities Turnigy Plush or the newer K-force ESC's to anyone who will listen. Priced right, I've never had one fail, from 12a to 100amp. FWIW flytwice
In case you wish to cross-shop, Hobbywing makes both of those ESC's. HK just re-brands them. They are good ESC's, very reliable and well priced.

Turnigy Plush = HobbyWing Pentium
Also sold as the ExceedRC Volcano series from Hobbypartz
A programming card (the one with the LED's) is available and is much easier than stick programming.

The Turnigy K-Force = Hobbywing Platinum
Requires the Advanced Professional LCD Program Box for programming.
philipa_240sx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -3

I will recommend Scorpion motors as well. I fly mostly 3D, and their power to weight is second to none.
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.