Byron fan conversion question... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
RCC Apprentice
I am: marcw

Total Props: 0
Re: Byron fan conversion question...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well - where do I begin................ Pop some popcorn and settle in for 2 or 3 hours of reading.

I'm using the Hacker motors. One has the A50 with a CC HV85 ESC and one has the Hacker turbine with a CC HV110. Both on 10S 5000mah packs. They have flown and they fly just as well as glow. (maybe a little better)

Here are my conversion threads:

Last edited by skyhawknut; 01-11-2011 at 04:58 AM.
skyhawknut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #12
RCC Apprentice

Now that that's out of the way....I will put the link at the bottom and you can read about all the tests and results over from the last 3 years. The Hacker turbine starts on Pg 35. In a nutshell...........

The Hacker A50 will only take 11S max. The Scorpion and the Hacker turbine have both been flown on 12S and work well. The Scorpion has weak bearings that need frequent lube and has high amps - about 120 or so, which eats into your flight time. They both put out about 16.5 lbs on 12S. The A50 on 10S is equal to the OS91 - about 12 lbs with 65 amps and it does 13.7 lbs with 68 amps on 11S. The turbine does about 14lbs on 10S at about 70 amps and 80 amps on 12S.

These results are on older cells (25C and lower). Due to better voltage under load, if using newer 30 C and up cells - drop one cell. This goes for all motors.

The A50 and Scorpion motor both use the same adapter. The turbine needs the center hub reammed out. You can then bond it with JB weld or use the front case screws to bolt it to the fan hub. If bonded - the motor can still be serviced as the rear screws are still in the open.

A50 KV = 550
Scorpion KV = 630
Turbine KV = 640

CC esc's are being used as A) they are high quality and B) they are really the only ones with a high enough switching rate to power the fans to the needed RPM. The CC HV85 works - but if I were you I would get the CC HV110 or 120 for a little more headroom and future packs/power.

The general setup for best weight and flighttime is the 5000mah packs.

The motor, HV 85 esc and adapter can be had new for about $400. (esc=$165, motor=$169, adapter= $65)

If I were you (for economic's sake) I'd build your mig light, with econokote covering on the foam and built per Byrons instructions. Use the A50 and buy some 5S packs to make 11S. One was done like this (11S), it took off in 50m and climbed at a 45 degree angle. Or go with 10S. You could get 5 mins and change with this setup, with plenty of get up and go.

As you can see - there are different ways to go depending on what you want to do. They all have their pro's and cons. Just keep one thing in mind - that if you do go with 12S - at some point you will need to get new batteries, and at that point they will most likely be 30C or better - meaning you will need to drop a cell or risk blowing something up.

Here is eveything you ever wanted to know about the Byro E conversion:

Last edited by skyhawknut; 01-11-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10

Thanks Skyhawknut for your detailed input!
I'll read your posts today.
I do have very good 6S batteries (Nano-tech 45-90C 6S 5000mah) already. Using 2 for 12S is my plan. Now I must find a suitable motor that can handle the extra punch of their high C rating. I was considering the lower KV scorpion 4035-560. I'm also considering a 700 heli motor (Z-power TonicX Z70A 585Kv but the motor shaft is only 5mm). The scorpion 4035-630 has been used in the past but only with less cells. Robert from EJF said the motor was at its limit (so 12S on high C rated packs is a NOGO). EJF is now using a HET 700-98-670 motor and apparently this works with 12S. I'm still waiting to see the costs. I'll probably use a CC 120 ESC or a Turnigy K-force 120A-HV (if it ever gets in stock). As for the MIG, I plan to use lightweight glass cloth on the flying surfaces for durability. Still must get the power package before construction begins.
Just curious,
Where do you fly in Vancouver? I used to belong to the RCFCBC flying in Cloverdale and Boundary Bay.
Cheers Eric
Zen thinking * It's rebuildable till it fits back in the box. **
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice

Well, good luck Eric.

I think for the most part you will be in uncharted waters. I'm not sure if those motors/esc's have been used before. The 630 KV Scorpion is being run on 12S of the lower packs - but your right that I think the higher packs are too much. If EJF tells you they have something that works - then you should be good to go.

I think someone tried one of the Turnigy esc's and it didn't work - the amps and watts were too low.

Either way - make sure you post your results so we can add it to the rest of our info!

I used to be with RCFCBC but they lost their field and I'm at Ridge fliers now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.