RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3
Re: LiPo Battery "Q's"

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
They just seem to me to be rather delicate for something that might be beaten on pretty heavily in an R/C truck, for example...
lipos designed for that purpose have a hard case.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
101cabral
RCC Apprentice

I am: Darren Cabral
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-9
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0

A lot of good information here. Here is my simple opinion:

It really comes down to this
-Charge them at the right voltage!
-Don't poke holes in them
-and dont drop them off your second floor.

Follow that and your good to go lol. They arn't dangeourous at all, the only time i ever had an incident with one was when i was first getting in to the hobby and for some dumb reason i charged a 5000mah 3 cell at the voltage of a 5 cell! Of course it swelled up and i threw it out side, and before you know it the neighbors were at our door saying our lawn was on fire haha.

But if you charge them at the right voltage and don't abuse them, you will never have a problem! Don't let fear of them stop you from using them, sure they could cause damage but so would a fork if you stuck it in an outlet, but you wouldn't do that now would you! LiPo batteries are great, half the weight of NiMh and a little more power if you ask me!

Happy flying,
Darren
http://www.torontoskycam.com
101cabral is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
jonnysmith006
RCC Noob

I am: JOnny
# of RCs: 3

LiPo are the best available option at the present but you just have to take care of few things such as don not charge it on or near ant thing that catches fire easily or rather say flammable and have a look when you are charging .
jonnysmith006 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
dozer1980
RCC Noob

I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 3

i was worried about lipos as well just got back into the hobby and they were pretty dauting but luckly my crawler came with a great charger that detects what kind of lipo it is and has a balance feature which will extend the life of your lipos alot, also using a proper esc with voltage cutoff or an add on voltage cutoff will really save your packs.
dozer1980 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
camjopp
RCC Apprentice

I am: Cam J
Radio of choice:
dx8i
# of RCs: 6

i hear this about lipos all the time how they r dangerous but if you have a decent balance based charger there is basically zero danger and the bennefits far out weigh the scare talk that everyine seems to get into anytime you mention lipo's they weigh a ton less they have amazing c ratings for awsome amounts of power and if you want to achieve top speeds like me nothing else is even an option I did 91 mph in my traxxas today cant do that with a 10 pound nimh lol im not saying dont take precautions but no more than common sense dictates dont charge them on flamable surfaces but I think that goes for any batt and dont try to overcharge them like a nimh the mah rating is the top do not go 110 or 130% like I do with nimh and enjoy breaking all the speed revcords you can
camjopp is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in