Better Approach to Starting to Fly - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4
Better Approach to Starting to Fly

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been nearly 27 years in R/C, but I've never flown an airplane.

Last fall I bought a Great Planes Extra 300 SP (46-55 two-stroke). I am considering buying a Hanger 9 Twist 40 in order to learn to fly a "plank".

Should I get the Extra in the air and don't bother buying the Twist or buy the Twist to learn on and keep the Extra for use later?

Thank you for your input.

tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5
Re: Better Approach to Starting to Fly

If you have not flown RC it won't matter, the Extra or the twist will both become a smoking hole just the same.
that being said, it's not a shot at your skill, it is just that those aircraft require a level of skill beyond a new pilot.
a good trainer type plane should be your first plane, but if you feel a twist or extra are better suited to your flying, contact a local club and get an instructor to fly with you with a buddy box. It may save you a few bucks and some frustration.

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

If Maple Ridge is anything like Coronation, there won't be too many people with buddy boxes available. I would start out with a flight simulator for the winter picking a good trainer to learn the basic controls with. (NB, one flight sim comes with a DX5e) Then go buy a cheap piece of styrofoam, like a hobby zone Super Cub, get the bind and fly version and pick out a separate radio. The Horizon Hobbies Super Cub works with the DX5e. Avoid the RTF model since the Ready to Fly radio is low quality and has no option for a buddy box.

Why the foamie over a hunk of balsa? Well in learning the 7 ways to kill a super cub, I've replaced 5 cowls >$4 each, 1 gear box, 1 radio Rx (water, not crash), a prop shaft and 3 propellers. Oh, and the Super Cub is alive and well. If you pick that particular plane there's a few tricks to strengthening it that I have field tested Foam is cheap, breaking balsa will make you cry.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Hi Ken,

You may want to try one of the local club member's flight simulator first to test your flying skills before your first flight. I found the flight simulator helped me when I was getting back into the hobby after 30 years absence.

My suggestion would be to get your own flight simulator for your PC, try flying the different planes, and you probably find you'll want to get a trainer to start off with. Getting your own flight simulator at this time of year would be great and give you lots of time to practice before the summer flying season with out the "crash costs".

I think is always a good idea to contact your local club, or find another flyer in your area who you trust and can call upon for advise.

It would also be great if your first flight could be on a "buddy box" with an experienced flyer to test and trim out your plane and find out how it flys. All new transmitters have "buddy box" capabilities, that is, they can link two transmitters together. One as master and one as slave - the master controls which one is active.

Hope this helps.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!" - Benjamin Franklin.
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
Radio of choice:

Thank you for the input, guys.

I'll definitely will put in time on a simulator first. Last night I was thinking of joining the nearest local club. And the guy I bought the Extra 300 from said he would trim it out for me. I was thinking of going the foam plane way as another local club is filled with guys really enjoying flying them. At least I can get it in the air and practice "spot" landing.

Have a great season.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Join a club where you can get some help.

The Coquitlam club has a Simulator that members can "rent" as well as a flight training program.

RCFCBC has a new field in Mission near Silverdale. They are setting up a buddy box program for flight training.

Whatever U do, don't buy a Twist - they are a POS and have some really screwy rudder coupling issues.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
Radio of choice:

I was thinking of joining RCFCBC; their membership fees have gone up along with their initiation fee for a total of $300. Probably the highest in Canada.

On the basis of your comments, I will not buy the Twist. I didn't realize that it was so poorly made and had such unpredictable flying qualities.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I've been flying the Twist 40 for the last 5 yrs and it's one of my favorite funfly planes. No coupling whatsoever and it flies on a rail. Just not a plane to learn on. Like taking flying lessons on a full size Extra 300. Learn on a Cub first.

Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Looks like you're doing things right -- not buying a pile of equipment before you need it.

First step is pretty much what you've done -- find ALL (emphasis) of the clubs in your area -- the MAAC website will have a page that gives the zones in Canada and the clubs in the zone. They may have upgraded the page to include a geographic locator for the clubs -- locations that are closest to you.

Take the time to visit the clubs and to hang out a while. The MAAC-chartered clubs usually have a 'free flight" program that gives you one flight on a trainer aircraft under the tutelage of an instructor. Find the club that fits your personality and needs. Sounds like the RCFCBC fees are giving you a case of sticker shock -- better check out what you'd pay for golf, water-skiiing, skiing/snowboarding....... also, may be a case of what they provide in terms of facilities or it could be just snob factor -- I don't know the club and can't comment on it as being good, bad or indifferent. Get the facts on the clubs and the pluses and minuses of being a member, especially in terms of getting and keeping student members.

Next step will be to see what the students in the club are using and what the club recommends as a trainer.

Then shop around for a plane in good used condition, as well as the basic flight equipment. Alternate would be to go with one of the package trainers like the NexStar, which has everything except the starting and fuel equipment. If you're joining an all-electric club or going to be flying electrics, there's a version of the NexStar for that as well.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

You might be suprised how much fun a trainer can be. I had a Superstar 40 trainer and that sucker was a blast! I learned how to pull stalls turns, Immleman's, loops, rolls, inverted passes, all sorts of basic flight patterns. Sure, I crashed it a couple times but it was a tough plane and easy to fix. A lot of experienced flyers still take their trainer out once in a while for some fun, casual flying. I would highly recommend a Superstar, LT-40, Alpha 40 or something along those lines.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.