Lite Ply Characteristics? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4
Lite Ply Characteristics?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Greetings Fellow Constructors/Repairers,

I am trying to fix a couple of my broken ARFs & wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the materials used in their original construction versus what you can buy to fix them. Specifically, the ARFs seem to be built with a "lite ply" - 3 layers mostly close to 1/8" thick. It has quite a hard surface and is very brittle. In comparison, the lite ply I have bought recently and in the past (Bud Nosen or Midwest brands) is quite soft and pliable. I am not sure it has the same strength characteristics as the ARF material. In fact for some critical, high stress areas, I have used 1/8" aircraft ply (5 layers) despite the weight premium.

Has anyone observed the same things & decided on the best approach? I was thinking of soaking my soft material in a dilute solution of epoxy to toughen it up before I used it.

Any comments appreciated. Thx.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: guyl

Total Props: 1
Re: Lite Ply Characteristics?

Aircraft Spruce Specialities (Toronto Branch) may have what you are looking for.
They sell material for aircraft homebuilders such as Sitka Spruce, Norwegian Birch
plywood, etc. A good wood dealer selling exotic wood would carry all sorts of
foreign plywood and veneers. In the Montreal area we have wood supplier (not
building supplies) who sell balsa in large pieces other forein woods and I bought
a light mahogany marine plywood (not door skin plywood) which I use for building
my scratch built and reinforcing some ARFs. They are Langevin & Forest.
guyl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

Depending on the structure the flexible lite ply may work fine. I find on a lot of the less pricy models the original ply was only 2 or 3 layers thick and of a brittle wood type. Most of the aftermarket ply you find seems to be of a higher quality, (Russian Birch?)

Rather than soaking the entire piece in thinned epoxy, which adds a horrendous amount of weight, I found a better method. I used 2 thinner ply sheets and then bond them together with one or more layers of glass cloth in the middle. Depending on the strength required I determine the weight of cloth and how many layers. Once the epoxy is applied I weight the entire assembly down between 2 sheets of 1/4" plexi on an already flat building surface. This ensures the finished product is perfectly straight.

A couple of additional pointers. I thin the epoxy slightly with methanol and use nothing shorter than 30 MIN type to allow for better penetration into the wood, (thinning with methanol increases the set time anyway). If I need a super strength bond then I can add a bit of FLOX to the mix before applying it to the wood.

The second point is that by doing it this way the outer ply surfaces are still virgin and capable of accepting glue or epoxy for a later bond if necessary.

I have used this method when building structures such as ply spar joiners and firewalls, (the latest was the firewall for the Harvard last Friday). For my Northstar one of the final build recommendations was to apply glass cloth to the outer fuselage near the tail all the way up to reinforce the engine pod and tail surfaces. Even though it had been done this way for a very long time, I did not think this was that elegant and I brought the glass cloth inside between the balsa and ply doubler.

p.s. Is there not a balsa and ply supplier out near the Hamilton/St. Catherines corridor?
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

If price is a factor, "Luan Plywood" is typically readily available from furniture repair companies. It's very inexpensive and comes in relatively thin sheets (often used as backs to dresers, cores for cushions etc. etc.

Simple Doorskins (i.e. material use to create interios doors) are another source of material similar to what you're describing and commonly used when scratchbuilding model aircraft....

HTH, Jim.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.