Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Igor S
Radio of choice:
Jr X9303
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
Post HK- Transmitter warmer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So just received the heater today for the HK Glove.
This is how it comes:

The funny thing, on the box it says that this is R/C on-road car tire warmer and is designed for that use only.
And this is out of the box:

I was trying to work out a way to stick it inside the glove and I think the best way would be for the HK to upgrade gloves to include internal Velcro to attach the heating elements and to also include Velcro on both sides of the heating element, right now it is just one.
I'm not sure how long the glue will hold, I will probably have to stitch the Velcro to the glove for more permanent fix. You can see the blue additions to the elements and the glove.

To run the wires I decided to make a hole on the side so when I use the transmitter wires and fingers don't mix in the most wrong moment. This should be incorporated into the next glove revision.
Now you can see all attached and power on.
It draws 55.5W/4.75A to keep the temperature steady and 102W/9.6A to heat. The temperature setting on the dial makes no difference on the Amp draw, it just take longer time to get there.

This is on 2s with an Amp meter results as well. Only 3.2 Amp and 30 watts.
These are much more reasonable, non-hand burning numbers.

Some hard number.
When on 3s this is what I got. One in "F" on in "C".
You can see my sexy tube-sock upgrade
The temp probe is pointing on the silver top, not the sock, in-case you wonder.

From now on this glove is officially known as "Easy Bake" at our club. No, they did not know about the little smoke incident. (read-on) First two pictures on 3s and the second two on 2s.

I did a live in-flight test on a lousy 3s I had around and it was warm enough when I was outside this weekend. I flew 1st time with nothing and got stiff hand, 2nd time with just the glove and it was better and with the lipo I was warm, so I liked it. Good thing I did not have a good 3s 
For a test I connected a 10,000Mah 3s (call me crazy) and let the glove sit a bit, maybe 3 minutes or so. I got a nice puff of smoke and silver lining broke through, I think the wire went over 100C but I did not have time to test and pulled it out.
I'd stick with a 2s on this device in the glove as the last thing I need it fire inside the warmer.

The major issue is keeping that temp probe right on the wire and not let it move. I don't know how to at this point, maybe someone has an full-proof(ish) idea?
Final assembly, I went with more Velcro on the side to hold the module and battery will see how that holds up.

Initial though:

1) The glove is not meant to hold the elements so some work is required to make it fit and keep wires out of the way, next glove revision can take care of that very easy.
Best I think is it add a pocket on the side for the module and a hole for wires as well as make wires shorter to have less mess inside.

2) Heating elements get REALLY hot. When the element is on you can't touch the silver part for more then a second or two, I'm not sure if it is best to mount the silver part facing the bottom of the glove or what. But you don't want to touch it while flight, you will get one big ouch!
Maybe HK can make a pocket on the inside of the glove to slide the elements in, this way it will insulate the silver form the hands and prevent burns.

3) HK also need to add compartment to hold the lipo, as it is, there is no way to have it on conveniently. I stuck it to the side with velcro

4) Don't know how it will perform outside, will test on the weekend but it looks like it will keep hands warmer for sure. I'll have some thin gloves on to prevent burning my hands.

5) Need to have a build-in lipo alarm and LVC.

6) Temperature probe attaches to the silver heating elements with tape as suggested by instruction. The elements get hot, so tape will let go and not the heat will not stop till it burn I take it. Bad design here, should be a build in sensor into the element with detachable connector.

7) Stick to 2s lipo, any more and you are playing with fire.

Thoughts on the glove while I'm at it: 8/10
2 points, 1 for each side for missing sleeves
What is really missing as a sleeve for the right and left hands as to keep the wind out, the rest is very good. The clear window does fog up from hands when you operate the remote, at least it did for me.

Some thoughts by another member:
Ok guys, I figured out what Iím going to do with mine, Iíll try to describe as best as I can.
I noticed that with only the small elastic loop at the top of the glove to hold the TX, the lower half of the glove sags down when the heater and battery are installed. This doesn't allow the heater pads to be close to my hands, so doesn't do much good.
I decided to make a thin hard backing surface and glue it to the bottom of the glove. Maybe Formica or thin Plywood. Then, i'm going to make elastic bands to hold the TX at the top AND bottom, so it will lay flat on the bottom of the glove. Next' Iím going to mount the heater pads to the backing alongside the TX. I will mount the temp controller to the backing with Velcro at the lower part of the glove, below the TX.
I figure this way, my hands can rest directly on the heater pads. On 2S, they don't get extremely hot, so I don't think there's a problem with getting burned.
vasy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4
Re: HK- Transmitter warmer

Great review, Vasy. You're right on the "bleeding edge" :=) You'll need the glove on these cool sunny days. Now we have to get rid of the 20 days of rain in January :=(
tskca is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Igor S
Radio of choice:
Jr X9303
# of RCs: 15

Originally Posted by tskca View Post
Great review, Vasy. You're right on the "bleeding edge" :=) You'll need the glove on these cool sunny days. Now we have to get rid of the 20 days of rain in January :=(
Hehe... The glove is also good for those rainy days as well. Just one problem, no water proof ESC's for the plane yet exist.
I suppose one can just use a good boat ESC or just seal it as I see some boaters do. Once that is done, nothing will stop us!! Muhahaha...muhahah
vasy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mike P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

or water proof receivers
lipoflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
I am: Sean C

Total Props: 7

100 watts is a lot of heat. This is my solution.
spog is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.