Silver Soldering - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3
Silver Soldering

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am looking for some advice on silver soldering/brazing. I have done a bit of reading on silver soldering and it looks like what I need to set up some flying wires for a biplane that I am going to build. I have never done silver soldering before and what I have read so far does not go into a lot of detail.

Any advice on the process/steps or suggestions as to where I can get more detailed information on the process would be appreciated. I already have a silver solder brazing kit, solder and flux, I now need some guidance on how to do it.

Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 9
Re: Silver Soldering

First if you are using a true silver solder you will need a torch to obtain the heat needed. The low temp solder is not a true Silver solder.
The peices must be sanded, clean and have a tight fit. If there is any oils or contaminations your joint will fail or will not fill well. Apply the flux liberaly to the piece and apply heat the flux will start to flow around 500 degree's at that time apply the brazing rod to the piece and it should just flow right on. Try a practice piece to get the hang of it.
I think there are some youtube links also that will guide you.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Re: Silver Soldering

Real silver soldering isn't soldering, it is brazing. I purchased my silver wire from a saw blade manufacturer, its the same stuff they use to braze carbide teeth onto saw blade bodies.

Silver brazing can be done on smaller parts with a propane torch, but for larger things a small oxy/propane or oxy/acetylene is better. The flux is a water soluble white paste which melts glassy clear, and must be washed completely off with warm water or it will cause corrosion. Silver brazing wire flows very well and will wick into any place where there is flux and enough heat.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.